Zorbing, Wet 'n' Wild, cuddling koalas, thunderstorms and Australia zoo...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Noosa
December 2nd 2006
Published: December 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello and greetings from Noosa!

Firstly....HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Mum and Batrice!!! Hope you both had a lovely day and enjoyed your meal!

All is good over here, we have a free day to just mooch so thought I'd catch up on this...

I think the last entry left me at Surfers Paradise...cool, so we spent a nice day on the beach but the waves were so strong that we didn't swim - paddling was enough cos you could be in the water up to your ankles and the waves would come in and soak you up to your waist!! We did venture in a bit further but just kept getting knocked over!! Muchos fun. That night our hostel had organised a free trip to a club where you got a meal and drink but we left after that haha!! We went to another place which was in a harbour and had a live band which was grrrrrreat!

On our way to our next stop, Brisbane, we stopped to do some zorbing. I'd never heard of this before the ozexperience but oh my god, it is one of the best thi8ngs i've ever done!! Basically, there's a huge plastic ball with a smaller one inside it. The small one is suspended in the middle, not just rolling around. Then there's a little entrance tunnel from the outside to the inside ball where they put water in....and us!! The ball is held in place at the top of a hill, three people have to dive in (tres funny as my fist attemp i just got wedged halfway!!), then you wait for them to release the strap holding the ball at the top of the hill. When they take it away, you all have to run on your hands and knees like hamsters, and try and make it to the bottom like that. Well, obviously, the running lasts for about three seconds then it's just carnage!! Tumbling bodies all over th place and you can't tell where you are at all!! It was wicked and apparently that's the only placethey do it! I heard something about it being on 'I'm a celebrity' but instead of water, they're gonna put gross things in there - eeewwwww!! I also had a go at being a speed bump which is where you just lie in the path of the ball, accross the slope, and it runs over you!! Quite scary watching it come towards you, but it doesn't hurt at all and is really funny.

So that night we arrived in Brisbane and settled in to our new hostel which was huge! The next day we went to wet 'n' wild and it was incredibly hot that day so we were really lucky to be in the waater all day. We did all the rides but i didn't do that vertical slide thing they have at these kind of places. The thought of an extreme wegie wasn't that inviting and after watching luce go down and walk out with a bit of a limp i decided against it!! There was a ride called tornado where four of you go in a multi person ring thing and go down a slide for a bit then it has an almost vertical part at the end of which is a cone shape which you get spun round in! Probably the most stomach losing moment of my life as i had no idea we were going down the vertical bit as i was facing backwards and it was so fast!! Very much fun though and would prob do it again!

On Wednesday, we spent the morning arranging our accommodation for the rest of our trip which is all sorted apart from Cairns now. In the afternoon, we went to a koala sanctury but were so late that we only had an hour there. I cuddled a koala called Nivea who was adorable. She just lay right against me and her little nose went into my neck ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I wanted to take her home but my bag wasn't big enough. We got a photo together which I'll try and put up soon. I lknow i keep saying i'll put photos up soonand don't. Thing is, i haven't got any on my camera cos it's still full from south africa so i have to ask luce if i can get a copy of hers but we might just do that over christmas...

While we were waiting for the bus home from the koalas, there was a huge thunderstorm! I got a bit excited and ran out to enjoy it but swiftly ran back in again after being hit by a hailstone as big half a brazil nut on my shoulder - ouch!!!

The weather has been uber hot recently and we've all been creaming up so the tan is getting there, but relatively slowly at the moment. THink we're going to head down to the beach in a bit. Noosa is lovely - really pretty and has a lush beach but it's well expensive!! Our guide told us he bought a bottle of water here the other week and it cost him $5.30!!! That's like over two quid!! Madness. We're leaving Noosa tomorrow unfortunately, but are going on to Hervey Bay where we'll visit Fraser Island for two days. On the way, I think we stop at Rainbow Beach and have an aboriginal experience where we learn how to throw boomerangs and how to play didgereedoos (how do you spell that?!) talking of which - Lucy and I bought a didg the other day and are slowly learning how to play. I can make a sound which is better than the other day, but that's about it haha. Hopefully we'll learn some tricks tm!

Yesterday we went to Australia zoo - the home of Steve Irwin! It was so sad, it was his son's third birthday and just before the crocodile show, they bought out a huge cake for him and he came out with Terri and Bindi to blow his candles out. I was in tears, it was really emotional. After, we saw loads and loads of shirts all covered in writing. There was a whole wall of them - all tributes and meesages for Steve. This got me started again, some of the things were really sweet. The zoo was great though - has a real conservation message runnning thrtoughout, it's not about seeing tha animals so much as learning how to live with them etc, i thought it was a brillinat place. Definitely worth a visit if you're ever over here!

So, that's about it I think. Sorry for lack of capital i's etc. I'll try and write again soon but I"m not sure when it'll be...

Loads of love to you all, stay happy,
Love Rach / Perry xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx



Advertisement



2nd December 2006

Lucky you!!
hello sweetums!! it really sounds like your having a BLAST!!! some people go to these fantastic countrys and never see the spetacular things that you should... and here you are doing them all!! i'm very jealous!! are you looking forward to crimbo on the beach or are you somewhere different by then!! i have jamie arriving today for a week and then home in 2 weeks! HOOOORAAYYY!! "i'm driving home for christmas!!" well... flying home for christmas!! miss ya chica keep grooving!! xxxx
2nd December 2006

Weep!
I'm gettin the tears in the eyeballs thinkin about Mr Steve now :-( Wahhhh!! I don't blame you for ballin! I did zorbing in NZ, it's GREAT!! We had 2 of us and I'd only met the girl 2 hours earlier...what better way to get to know each other!! Love you little miss x x x
7th December 2006

!!!
I'm SOOO glad you're having such a cool time, I expect now you'll be around Fraser Island area, it's stunning. I'm back home now, so enjoy the Aussie weather, it's cold and dark here... ;) Take care xxxxx

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb