Australia 2019


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Noosa Heads
January 15th 2019
Published: February 1st 2019
Edit Blog Post

The weather in the last 2 weeks has been ideal, highs of 26C and lows of 23C. Some days are a little hot with the humidity but much more temperate than other parts of Australia (particularly South East) that are experiencing extreme heat. We’ve had quite a few rounds of golf and Debra’s had 3 productive lessons which has improved her game resulting in personal best scores. Her language on the course is certainly changing with the improvement!!! Although the golf course is very challenging, it’s in excellent shape and very enjoyable to play (although the 68 sand bunkers and narrow fairways with lots of water can be troublesome). For those golfers, the blue tees are 5915 metres (appx 6500 yards), slope is 126 and par rating 71. So a fairly difficult course!!

We’ve spent some time with our friends Susan and Harry from France who are staying in Noosa for December and January.We have had a few pleasant outings with them including some enjoyable meals. One of those outings was a visit to the Queensland Museum in Brisbane which had a special ANZAC exhibit. For those unfamiliar with the acronym, ANZAC (Australia and New Zealand Army Corps) was formed
Mephisto German TankMephisto German TankMephisto German Tank

It would be punishing to be inside this tin can under enemy fire. The sounds would be deafening!!!
as part of the allied forces in the Gallipoli campaign of WW1. Although the group was dissolved soon after the unsuccessful campaign was abandoned, ANZAC Day(April 25th) has become a memorial in both countries similar to Remembrance Day in Canada. The ANZAC museum exhibit contained a number of artifacts and personal stories/sacrifices from WW1, including one of only 15 unusually designed German tanks build by Daimler Benz called the Mephisto ( Soldiers named it after a mythical devil character in German literary circles called Mephistophelian).

Next door to the Museum is the Queensland Art Gallery which contains an eclectic range of art including local Aboriginal and Australian artists. Brisbane has done a good job in planning what is called “The Cultural District“ which in addition to the Museum and Art Center, includes a large convention complex and a performing arts facility, all serviced by high capacity public transportation infrastructure.

January 26th is Australia Day. It is to commemorate the 1788 landing of the first fleet of British Ships in New South Wales (formerly known as New Holland). Over the years, Australia Day has been quite controversial due to the past injustices experienced by Indigenous Australians and the lack of recognition of their land claims. Some call January 26th, Invasion Day. In Noosa Springs, the community have a special member golf tournament and celebrate by decorating their carts and participating in various social functions.

Debra's brother Roger and his friend Linda arrive on February 2nd and we look forward to sharing some new experiences in the blog as we travel around the East coast with them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Unique Art DisplayUnique Art Display
Unique Art Display

A Filipino artist featured in the Queensland Art Gallery
Sunshine Beach HikeSunshine Beach Hike
Sunshine Beach Hike

Very nice hiking trail that meanders along the Noosa and Sunshine Beach coast line.


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb