Talaroo Hot Springs Qld


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mount Surprise
July 4th 2022
Published: July 25th 2022
Edit Blog Post

In planning our journey across the Savannah Way, we followed the route on WikiCamps, and then looked at all the places to stay and of interest. One planned stay intrigued us, and that was the Talaroo Hot Springs, which was proudly owned and operated by the Ewamian Aboriginal Corporation. They acquired the 31,500 hectare property following a Native Title Determination in 2013, and indigenous rangers have managed the property since that time. We wanted to support this venture for the Ewamian people on their own country, particularly after hearing of many examples of the shocking treatment of indigenous inhabitants of the land as it was opened up by European settlers.

The facilities were great, with a powered and water caravan site, close to hot showers and toilets. There was a great cafe at Reception, where the service was excellent. We were keen to do the Hot Springs Discovery Tour, and participate in the Yarning Circle around the campfire. Unfortunately, it was raining at night, and we didn't get to join the Yarning Circle.

The Hot Springs Discovery Tour was led by a lovely indigenous woman, who explained without any trace of bitterness, how her grandmother and great grandmother were the only two from their tribe to escape a massacre by white settlers. They only escaped by jumping into the gorge, and hiding in a tree, coming down at night for food from the creek.

We enjoyed a forty minute hot soaking pool experience in the Artesian Waters, and listened to stories of joy and sadness. Each hot pool had a different name and temperature. One pool was around 73 degrees Centigrade, and was used to cook their animal meat. One bubbling pool was used to throw in a young indigenous girl, pregnant to a white settler.

We were very happy to support this venture by dedicated indigenous rangers, caring for a special piece of country.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0153s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb