Cobbold Gorge Qld


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Forsayth
July 2nd 2022
Published: July 24th 2022
Edit Blog Post

At just about every Caravan Park we stayed at, people we encountered asked "Have you been to Cobbold Gorge?" We booked our Caravan Park in Georgetown and the tour of the gorge at least two weeks ahead, which was just as well, as many people not only missed out on the gorge, they also encountered No Vacancy signs at the local Caravan Parks.

Thus, it was with much anticipation that we drove the ninety kilometres (mostly on dirt roads), from Georgetown to Cobbbold Gorge, which can only be viewed with a booked tour. The gorge is located on private property, and we had to take a bus from the Visitor Centre to the start of the gorge. We were taken by a guide from the start of the gorge up to the top of the cliffs, in the process being showed various bush tucker foods and explaining their use by indigenous people. We were then guided out onto the Glass Bridge that spans the gorge, having to wear cloth shoe coverings to avoid scratching the glass. The glass bridge is the only one of its kind in Australia, and it was an amazing experience.

We watched guided tour boats float below us in the gorge, and then wound our way down to the water level for our own guided boat tour. At times, it seemed the boat would barely fit between the cliffs, as we glided past mossy walls and freshwater crocodiles sunning themselves on the bank or a tree branch.

When the tour was ended, we enjoyed a dip in Cobbold Gorge Infinity Pool.

It was an incredible day and well worth the long drive out to the gorge.

That night, an impromptu singalong was organised by a couple of guys who had been strumming away in different areas of the caravan park. One of the guitarists and his wife turned out to be from Wamberal NSW, just near where we live. The next day it was raining, and so we really did play the part of Grey Nomads, and took part in an afternoon of Indoor Lawn Bowls.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.355s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb