Mission Beach - Paradise, Kayaking and Sugar


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mission Beach
August 10th 2011
Published: August 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

August 9th

Leaving Jourama Falls, we headed to Ingham for breakfast, and then to Mission Beach.

The drive to Mission beach took us through the towns of Cardwell and Tully, both of which had been severe victims of Cyclone Yasi. Having driven past many state forests near Brisbane, I had expected to see rows of pine trees in perfect rows, much like soldiers on the parade grounds. However, the pine forests next to the Bruce Highway were bent in odd directions. Much of that wood would be unusable given the angles in which it had been blown. In addition to the trees at angles, many trees were uprooted and had careened into others around them. Quite a mess.

This mess in the forest hadn’t prepared us for the devastation that was seen in the towns of Cardwell and Tully. It has been 7 months since the cyclone, and much of the debris had been cleared, but the impact of Yasi was still evident in the missing roofs, bent, twisted, or missing road signs and billboards, and the debris left in the fields . Many houses, properties, and boats were for sale, as people were willing to leave this area to forget those massive cyclones. Cyclone Yasi was not the only Category 5 to hit the area – in 2006 cyclone Larry had left his mark, and in 1989 Cyclone Winifred also wreaked havoc on these townships.

Mission Beach also reflected this picture of paradise marred by nature’s touch. However, it was still beautiful. Our caravan park overlooked the beach, and across the water to Dunk Island. (Dunk Island is not scheduled to reopen as a resort for another 2 years – victm of both the cyclone and downturn in tourism). The owners of the caravan park openly discussed their disgust with the way their bank (ANZ) had treated them after the cyclone. They were so upset that they called their finance broker and moved 4 home loans as quickly as possible.

We spent hours playing in the pool and walking on the beach drinking in the warm rays of the sun, and the fresh sea air.

Song of the Day: Whatever it Takes by Michael Buble

New Car Game: Look at what Yasi did

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 10th

Wandering to the amenities block for my morning constitutional, I looked across the water to Dunk Island as the sun rose. The wind had died away, and the water looked almost glassy. The call to spend time in the water was too great to miss.

After breakfast, Anthony and I hired kayaks and headed out across the water. We didn’t make it all the way to Dunk Island as 4kms each way is a little much for a sit on top kayak, although we did paddle the length of South Mission Beach and up through Wongaling Beach. I could get used to this lifestyle.

A quick lunch was had, and Katrina and I with the younger boys headed to Tully for tour of the Tully Sugar Mill. Being a banker I found it a world away in the hot, greasy ,world of robots, machinery, men in hard hats, and pungent smells (Bailey counted 17 different smells). Tully Sugar is considered in the Top 4 sugars in Australia, with all of it going directly overseas (only 45 minutes to the port where it is sent offshore).

After the hour and a half tour we drove through Tully, and ate a local café. These were the same streets we had seen Grant Denyer on Sunrise only months earlier. Most of the town centre was still in ruins. Most businesses in the old town were still boarded up. When we drove around the block, we noted that many of the buildings had no roof, and in some cases were completely backless. There is an odd sensation that we were intruding on someone else’s hardship, having not shared the experience with them.

Back to Mission Beach for another swim and relax. I’d happily stay here again – highly recommend the Beachcomber Coconut Caravan Village.

Song of the day : God of Wonders by Rebecca St James

New Game: ‘The Game’. The aim of the game is not to think about the game. Once you think about the game, you must declare in a loud voice ‘I lost the game!’ thus causing others around you to think about the game, and losing the game.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb