MISSION BEACH


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mission Beach
July 15th 2011
Published: July 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Mission BeachMission BeachMission Beach

Someone creative making stick people on the beach.
Mission Beach Caravan Park is council run and right on the beach. Very cheap at $17 per night so we stayed for 5 nights. Couldn't have asked for a better view and easy walk to shops and cafes. I even splurged and got my hair done :-) Apparently the bearded wolf man dosen't need his hair done?

The drive here passed through Cardwell and Tully and we drove out to Tully Heads and very shocked to see the damage in all these places from Cylone Yassi. Tully Heads was particularly bad. Every house there seems to be totally destroyed and only a couple are being repaired the rest look abandoned.

Spent a day out at the Tully Gorge the water looks very inviting but way to cold to get in for a swim.
Went exploring the area on most days and Peter did try to catch fish but no luck here at all. Bad time of year for fishing in Mission Beach. The Hull river looked really go0d for mud crabs and fishing but we were a bit concerned about crocodiles. It looked very crocodiley. Stopped and asked a man working in his front yard next to the boat
Cyclone Yassi Shredded TreesCyclone Yassi Shredded TreesCyclone Yassi Shredded Trees

Everywhere from Cardwell through to mission Beach Yassi has really ripped through and shredded all the bush and rainforest. Still beautiful while recovering.
ramp if it was safe and before I could even finish my sentence he shook his head and said there was no way he was going to let us get that kayak off our roof. There is an 8 foot and a 14 foot resident crocodile and hundreds of little ones in there. The 8 foot is regularly seen sunbaking on the ramp! That night I had crocodile dreams.

On our last night we had a little bit of excitement on the beach when a man and his 3 kids tipped their tender over before they got to shore. Peter and I helped them out of the water and got the boat up the right way and on dry land. They were all a bit shaken up but I'm sure the kids will love telling the story when they get back to school.

We have also been doing a few overnight stops at the 24hr roadside places. Always heaps of other people there so feel quite safe. It's easy and free...so is the noise. One night on the bruce highway was very hard to sleep with all the trucks going past and the 3 trains and the odd
Mission BeachMission BeachMission Beach

Very flat sand, excellent for walking and lined the entire 14km with palm trees. There has been alot cut down since Yassi and the rest all have their roots exposed now.
person every now and then who thinks it's funny to toot their horn when they go past.






Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Wallaman FallsWallaman Falls
Wallaman Falls

Just inland of Ingham we went to have a look at this waterfall. It is the longest single drop waterfall in Australia.


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb