Scousers and things that float


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Maroochydore
December 13th 2008
Published: December 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It was Saturday morning an I was up at 4.45 am, we were supposed to be working for our last 2 days at Australia Zoo, and also had to move off our camp site where we have been for 5 days. This campsite is gorgeous; it is 50 yards from the Ocean and the facilities are excellent. We have been speaking to loads of people here, some have been coming to this same campsite for 30 years, one guy we spoke to a Swiss guy and his Australian wife, come for 6 weeks every year and have been bringing their 2 lads here all their life.

It seems that a lot of Australians have wandering feet, especially the older generation, they don’t just go on a holiday every six months, they seem to rent their houses out and go away for at least 6 months.

Several people we have spoken to have been around Australia at least twice have confessed they have not even scratched the surface. Apparently travelling the circumference of Australia is around 25,000 Kilometres, by road.

We pack the trailer up in good time, as I came to the conclusion that as one of the staff was really rude to me on Friday, I was going to phone Australia Zoo and tell them to shove it, I didn’t mind doing the work, as a volunteer, but I didn’t need people talking to me like I was a something that they just stepped in, I have previously had the pleasure of being paid for that privilege.

We drive up to the camp ground kiosk and hand our keys in and get out deposit back, then off to Starbucks for a coffee and check our emails, and once done we are free to do what ever we want.

The weather is absolutely cooking, the news said it would be hot today.

We have the Big 4 brochure, which is the directory of all the large camp grounds, we just need to find a place for one more night, then we intend to park the camper trailer at Derek and Karen in Caloundra, then head south on Monday, and we will use the Swag to sleep in. arriving in Port Steven by 20th December for the house sit.

Caroline has phoned the Big 4 at Maroochydore and we have got a place for the night, we decide to go and park the trailer and put it up then it done, and we can then do our stuff.

Its just after lunch time now, we have done bits and pieces, had a sandwich, the thermometer in the camper trailer is 40 degree’s it is absolutely boiling. Caroline has sat out in it for no longer than 10 minutes and her already tanned shoulders are burning, so pool time we thinks.

Absolute bliss apart from too many of those noisy things that float in the water (Kids).
We were chatting to lady in the pool who seems to have travelled a whole lot, apparently they had a smallish windfall so her and her husband spent the lot on travelling around Canada, New Zealand, Europe and the UK. They now they live on site in a 2 bedroom cabin and rent their house out, they pay very minimal rent and have all the facilities of the site

By the time we drag ourselves out, all wrinkled its 4.00 pm

After a snooze, we get the food ready, we are going ocean side to the BBQ,S, and want to eat up some food before it runs out of date. The food is cooked (I do love these impromptu Barbies) and a group of people are chatting, they ask us to join them.

This one particular girl is pretty drunk and asks if we are English, we say yes, and then she asks, “Are you scousers”? I have to ask here if she knows where Scousers come from and she says “BRIGHTON”, Caroline and I nearly fall off the bench we were laughing so much.

We talk to these guys for a couple of hours and they are just really nice people, Wendy works in IT for a Brisbane based company and Des owns a couple of cycle shops. Apparently cycling is the new golf for networking. We saw all the Cyclists leave Starbucks this morning when we had a coffee.

It was a great evening; they were very tactile people, who I do hope we meet again.

Bed is calling now, its nearly 11.00 o’clock, we head back.

The T's on Tour
xx
PS I promise to upload some pictures soon, I have borrowed someones computer and internet as we are unable to find wireless access.




Advertisement



5th January 2009

??
Pretty drunk?? hmmm thats a bit nasty!! hope you guys are having a great trip! Wendy the pretty drunk girl ...

Tot: 0.562s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 28; qc: 192; dbt: 0.3725s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb