Where else but QLD?


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Makay
May 10th 2008
Published: May 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi all, since our last blog Carissa and I have made our way up to sunny Mackay QLD. At this point I must apologise for the lack of contact, turns out our wireless broadband is not so wireless. Not to worry…
Since leaving Asia behind us we were home for a brief stint to celebrate a friends wedding (congratulations Ollie &Aanika) before journeying North to the Central Queensland coast. Carissa flew up ahead to start working early and I drove up over a period of 4 days. Props to Stan and Pauline at Arrawarra, Ed at Brisvegas, and Julieanne and Alan at Gladdy for your kind hospitality.
Mackay is a regional centre that has grown significantly in recent years largely due to the continued mining boom in and around the region. Carissa is working at one of the major pharmacies here in town and has been most impressed by the modern facilities and technology- namely the ‘sit down dispensing consults’ and the willywonka-esque tube from the ceiling that the machine upstairs spits the relevant drugs into, delivering the packages right to your desk.
Carissa and I managed to check out some of the surrounding attractions on the ANZAC day weekend. We played traditional ‘two up’ at Gargett, a tiny sugar cane community 1 hour west of Mackay. We even managed to relieve the sociable cane farmers of $50 by the end of the proceedings. I figure we did them a favour as they were only going to drink it anyway. We then continued on to the ‘sky window’ and Finch Hatton Gorge, a beautiful swimming spot located in Eungella national park.
I have been working as a labourer at the Mackay shipyards, however have recently switched to landscaping as the work is closer to home. I am working on a new pupic pool / lagoon that is located in the town centre similar to that or Cairns and Airlie beach.
For anyone who might be interested in visiting us here, our digs our 100m from the beach and we have 3 spare beds.
Well that’s all for now. Basically it’s heads down and saving for the time being before tackling the next adventure. Hoo Roo.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



10th May 2008

gday!
glad to hear u guys are settling in up there! Keep us updated! Thanks again for being with us to celebrate our special day! Wats ur new address up there?

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb