Wildlife...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Magnetic Island
September 1st 2006
Published: September 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Rock WallabyRock WallabyRock Wallaby

No, its not a baby kangaroo, John!
We decided to spend a few days on Magnetic Island, thanks to the recommendation of Liz whom we met on the sailing trip of the Whitsundays (thanks Liz!!) We got our little Matilda(the camper van) on the boat and we think she really enjoyed it - we're sure she was smiling! After a short crossing we headed for the campsite and had an absolutely amazing few days. Magnatic Island is pretty small but so beautiful. We had a great time just wandering and looking at all the wildlife. We went snorkelling for a day - the first time we'd managed it without a boat full of people with us. It was amazing - I might just have another go at the scuba diving?!?!?!

We took some time to chill out and then we went for a walk to the forts which were built in WWII to defend townsville. John assures me the views from the lookout were amazing - unfortunately my phobia of ladders won out!! I (J) think you really need to be there as the photos just don't do it justice!

On the way back down the track we saw some wild koalas which was really cool.
Lorikeets?Lorikeets?Lorikeets?

John has always been a bit of a bird magnet!!
We saw a mother and baby which was the coolest - unfortunately they were asleep but we still got some cool photos. We also went to see the rock Wallabies that come out at dusk. They were really cute and looked like minature kangaroos but were extremely fast. On the way back from seeing the wallabies we saw a Echidna (bit llike a UK hedgehog) which was the first time we had seen one in the wild, he was a bit camera shy though so I only got a photo of his bum!!

John also took time out to feed some lorikeets. It was pretty funny to watch until one landed on me and I realised how sharp there claws were! And after, John looked like he'd had a bath in the food, although I think he gets more food down himself when he's eating!!! Well I (J) think I would agree with that comment, cheers H! Also saw a sting ray, but decided not to get to close, you may never know what could happen!!

There were also wild possums living in the campsite so you had to watch where you were walking after dark (and yes
Ahhhhhh!!Ahhhhhh!!Ahhhhhh!!

Its sooooo cute!
I(H) got freaked out a few times when I forgot they were there and just saw things moving!!) Freeked out, she nearly landed on the trees!!

So Magnetic Island was really cool and a bit of a wildlife safari. Definately recommended to anyone!




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Nice view!Nice view!
Nice view!

And John looks OKay too!
Nice view!Nice view!
Nice view!

Hang on a minute - John's changed sex!!
How do they do that?How do they do that?
How do they do that?

I wish I could sleep as easily as that! (Oh hang on - I Do!!)
On the moveOn the move
On the move

Our baby is going on an ocean adventure!
Another place..Another place..
Another place..

..Another sunset!!!
Ready Aim Fire..Ready Aim Fire..
Ready Aim Fire..

I guess there are worse places to be during a war?
WowWow
Wow

How are we ever going to forget views like these?!


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0678s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb