You may take our lives but you'll never take our freefall!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Magnetic Island
June 2nd 2006
Published: June 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

So, having done the Whitsundays and Fraser island it was onto to our last island, Magnetic Island. Its just 20 minutes on the ferry from townsville so theres actually a few thousand people living permanently on the island which we hadnt realised.

When we arrived there we jusmped on the first bus to our hostel on the other side of the island however we've become a bit attached to having our own wheels so we had made plans to pick up a new bitch-wagon the following day. Our first day we had a few hours left of sun so made the most of it on horseshoe beach by our hostel.
The next day we headed back to the beach - you just can't help but be a beach bum in a place like that. Then about 6pm we headed off to pick up our car - did i mention its the smallest car you've ever seen? and its pink!!

Driving back in the bunny-hopping micro-machine we heard some strange noises and began to get a wierd blair witch style feeling.... then we looked up.... hundreds of big-arse bats flying above us!! That evening we had dinner and then headed to a hostel bar on the other side of the island - quite amusing as the was a lapdancing game where blokes dressed up as women had to lapdance some poor girl - for some reason rubbing their bikini clad bottoms up the girls arm seemed to be a favourite of theirs! Realising everyone in the bar had strange bum rubbing fetishes we headed home. I was sat in the back of the car admiring the stars when suddenly the loudest, girly screams from Jemma and Gina - apparently one of the bats had divebombed the car and scared them to death - did i also mention the micro-machine was topless!!

On our last day at bat heaven island we headed to a few of the other beaches on the island some of which were completely deserted, so we had a nice relaxing day before waving goodbye to the micro-machine and heading back to Townsville.

Next stop was Mission Beach which was hit badly by a cyclone about two months ago - in fairness we didn't notice anything was wrong on the drive in as we were too busy looking for Cassowarys in the road and divebombing bats!

When we arrived we found a cute little motel so i jumped into the pool while the girls relaxed. About an hour later with the girls still snoring i headed down to the beach, where you have a beautiful view of Dunk island and a few more little islands i dont remember the names of! As i wandered back to the motel i saw three skydivers landing on the beach, at that point i knew what i was going to do the following day!

The next day we headed down to the Jump The Beach office and who'd of guessed they actually had space for us later that day yeehaa!! So we all signed our lives away, the clause where it said "people can and often are seriously injured or killed during skydiving" Fantastic, what are we waiting for!!!

A coupkle of hours later we were driven to the plane, oops, i could deal with jumping out the plane but hadn't really thought about the fact that i dont really enjoy flying in planes small enough you could mistake them for remote control toys!!

Anyway we all piled in, very cosy and headed up. When i checked my tandem dudes watch and we were only 4000 feet i got a bit worried as we still had another 10000ft to go and we were already above the clouds!! Jemma the licky duck was closest to the door - i use the term door loosely as it was just a plastic shutter - and so she was to jump first. Strangely it took her quite a while to move the 5 inches to the edge of the plane and then one...two...three...jump and she was gone. then my turn Jump. I met Gina on the the beach after 60 seconds of freefall and 4minute of parachuting to the ground over the barrier reef and dunk island...Breathtaking... yep it sure takes your breath away jumping out a plane at 14000 ft!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



2nd June 2006

Flying,Sailing,walking....what's next
I must admit that you are three gutsy girls.......don't think the boys would have gone near the plane. Photos are fantastic as usual....compliments to David Bailey....no comments on the driver this blog so she has obviously taken the lead off her boot - or did the little pinky not go that fast. The beaches look like paradise. Take care and love to you all. Joan
2nd June 2006

Well Done - is it the birds next Gina???
Well done girls, what an achievement!!! Its a pity you didn't record the bats flying at the car it would have earned you £250 on you've been framed. When are you going to hold a bird then Gina - what about an emu??? Keep on having fun, try to be good, love paula, paul & connorxxx
2nd June 2006

You take my breath away
Firstly you will be glad I have written the title and not sung the song to you as apparently I have the worst voice going.Well girls you managed to get the sky diving in after all.Seeing as you had no luck doing it in n.zealand I wondered if it had gone by the board but no you done it and I am so glad that I did not find out till after the event.You look as if you all really enjoyed it but why does jemma always seem to be sitting down on the job or is that a different way of doing things.I can just imagine the screams Fiona from the other two when bats got too close Gina usually disapears into me somehow when a pigeon gets close.You didn't fancy the drinking game then girls with the fella's in bikini's it's a wonder you lot let the boy's keep their bottoms on!!!Well now you all know what it's like to be a barbie Doll.You use to play with them now you've been one but from memory she had a pink sports convertible not a Dinky toy but but it looked fun all the same.Once again the beaches look breathtaking as do the sky diving pics.Well done girls you have done some amazing things. Things most people only dream about doing.Take care and stay safe lots of Love mum and dad casey xxx
4th June 2006

Dilemma
!4000 feet into outerspace and you're all having to consider whether to stay in your toy plane or jump out - brings new a meaning to 'being between a rock and a hard place'. Deciding on the latter required balls but perhaps that would be a gender contradiction. The shot showing Gina, I think, freefalling with the Earth's curvature in the background was stunning and should ensure you all have bragging rites over your mates for a few days at least - beat that I hear you say. Well now you all have pictures to look back on when your old and grey and say 'I did that'.
5th June 2006

Big Balls
Fiona, you always told me that I had the feminine genes in the family, what you never told me was that you had the male genes, you must sis, because it certainly takes a lot of balls to jump out a plane, congrats you nutta, take care and I love pink car!!!

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb