Magnetic Islands


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Magnetic Island
March 14th 2010
Published: March 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our 6 hour bus ride from Airlie Beach took us to Townsville, from there we took a 20 minute boat ride to the Magnetic Islands. When the islands were first discovered the explorers compass didn't work so that is why the islands were called Magnetic, now however longer trips showed the islands were in fact not magnetic but the name stayed. Now the locals say it is called Magnetic Island because people can't resist it. The island is covered in lush green forests and was truly breathtaking. I was so shocked when I stepped off the boat into a tropical paradise. Unfortunately though the beaches aren’t that nice, the sand is very rocky and dark and the water appears very dirty because the currents kick up a lot of sand, also jellyfish prohibit anyone from getting in the water. Our hostel though was wonderful! It is right on the beach and all the rooms are bungalows. The only downside is that because this is a very tropical island there was an extra crazy amount of animals and bugs, but after a while I got used to taking showers with lizards. On our last night Rochelle had to use the bathroom very early in the morning and there was a possum in the bathroom… While they seem very cute they are mean and have a strong bite.

We unfortunately didn’t get to see a lot on the island because we were drawn to the pool-side to soak up the wonderful weather that we had there. The island is known for their walks but it was too hot to even do that, the morning we wanted to do it we watched the sunrise and then planned to walk and even at 6am it was already 90 degrees out with 100% humidity. But a couple lazy days by the pool is exactly what we needed.

From the islands we took another 6 hour bus ride to Cairns which is the last stop on our trip. We arrived late last night but still made it out for the “Ultimate Pub Crawl Party Bus” that Cairns is known for. Today we have just been laying by the lagoon (again no swimming in the ocean because of jellyfish) and looking around. For our last day in Australia tomorrow we planned a trip out on the Great Barrier Reef. This is something I have wanted to do ever since I went with my parent when I was little. We will be snorkeling on the reef for 6 hours during which is visit an island and the “drop-off” which is the outer edge of the reef. I can’t wait for the snorkeling but I think I might be more excited for the food! Lol, we get breakfast (cakes, pastries, coffee, breads, etc) and lunch (a seafood, fruit, cheese feast). I am so excited that this is how we get to spend our last day in Cairns. After the snorkeling trip though our day is going to get very long. Our flight isn’t until 5:45 in the morning so instead of paying for a hostel we plan to just stay out until the shuttle takes us to the airport at 3am. From Cairns we fly to Sydney where we have a 8 hour lay-over before our 15 hour flight back to SFO. I am hoping it will all go by fast but I know we probably won’t be that lucky. See you guys in a few days!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb