heading down the east coast


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Magnetic Island
February 16th 2007
Published: February 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

I caught the oz experience bus from Cairns with Magnus and headed towards Townsville about five hours south. Our bus driver was this real ozzie dude called 'Frat' (although i think his real name was derek). He took us to this croc farm on the way down near mission beach, it was run by this crazy old crocodile hunter and we got to see some really agressive female crocs as it's nesting season and they go for you as you walk by the fences, and we also saw another world's largest croc (every croc farm claims to have it) at about 18 ft, but this time this old croc wrestler goes and actually sits ontop of the croc and more amazingly the croc didn't eat him! we also got to pet some kangaroos and i was reliably informed by our guide that male kangaroos are the only animal to "have their swingers infront of their penis". We went on to see some cassowarys, which are these huge blue birds that look a cross between a turkey, a flamingo and a velociraptor. I say the last one because on their toe they have this huge claw that could disembowel you in an instant. The tour guide told us that they're really territorial and that the week before they'd had a bunch of 5-6 year olds around on a school trip and and a bunch of freshly hatched chicks had wandered into the cassowary's turf just as the kids were coming by and the cassowary had stamped the poor things into the ground right infront of these little kids! how much would that mess you up!

Anyway, we got the ferry to magnetic island and i just seemed to meet up with loads of people, i'd already met this candian girl on the bus but i also met Nat and Kat from Singapore and also mel and Emma from my malay tour, wierd.
magnetic island itself is like this tropical island and i just took the opportunity to chill by the pool and get really sunburnt, very cool.

p.s this is a map of where iv'e been

Visited Countries Map



Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb