Magnetic Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Magnetic Island
December 9th 2006
Published: December 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So cuteSo cuteSo cute

The first wild koala we saw in Oz! She was a beaut!
Magnetic Island, the island where the sun shines 300 days of the year , had rain non-stop for the two days we were there. We looked around Townsville (a bit of a ghost-town) before getting the ferry over to Maggie. We stayed in an a-frame wooden hut near a koala sanctuary in Horseshoe Bay. It is a nice little place and the scenrey on Maggie is gorgeous, but there is not much to do when the sun isn't shining. We were hoping to hire a moke (a topless mini) to explore the island but it was too wet. One highlight was that we tasted the nicest potato wedges ever and saw lots of possums which we fed watermelon-they loved it. Even on our second day on Maggie, we both felt like we were swaying from being on the boat in the Whitsundays - a common problem for backpackers we found out.

On our last morning on the island it was bright and sunny. We got up extra early and went on a brilliant walk on the Fork Walking Track. We saw two wild koalas!!! It was so good!! It's rare to see koalas in the wild in most parts of
Cheeky characterCheeky characterCheeky character

We were surronded by possums while we were eating our dinner and couldn't resist giving them our left-over watermelon (they weren't keen on supernoodles)- they loved it.
Oz but Magnetic Island is one of the best places to spot them. We love em! They are just so sweet. The walk also had some great views of the beaches and we were surrounded by huge rocks and trees. There is a old fort that was built (but never needed) to defend Townsville in the war. It's a shame that the weather wasn't good for us but we still really liked Magnetic Island, it's definitely one of the most beautiful places we've been so far in Australia and it has great wildlife!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Arthur BayArthur Bay
Arthur Bay

One of the views from near the top of The Forts walk.
Rugged sceneryRugged scenery
Rugged scenery

Charlie made sure I knew that she loved the big rocks all around Maggie. If you look really closely you will be able to spot a cool piece of rock-art...


12th December 2006

Happy Birthday!
Hey Chimpster, have a great day. Glad to hear your both having a great time, brings back the memories!! Speak soon. Love Tom x x

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 93; dbt: 0.083s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb