On the road in mid-Queensland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Mackay
December 20th 2008
Published: December 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=pSXzMNq5DPQ]So where were we? Ah yes, we've left Cairns and are now on our drive down to Brisbane. We stopped for an afternoon and a night in Townsville, a pretty unremarkable town ( think Gloucester, without the Cathedral, without the history, with the shopping centre but a bit more down-at-heel). However, a 20 minute ferry ride away is Magnetic Island, at this time of year a beautiful, sleepy little beach filled place. It was much more fun than staying in town.

I think we should start a poll - who would like to travel with jb? doesn't he just love everything? and disagree with just about everything? cute eh? Well you know Townsville wasn't the cutest place -but it sure as hell wasn't cold.......Mackay isn't cold either but it has shopping malls - mmmm who really doesn't like that? despite a/c? The waterfall hit the spot so that yippee doo raised a vague smile - then back to the a/c that he'd sworn wasn't there........

So an early start and off to Mackay. It's our friend Chrissie's hometown, so I won't be rude about it, but when we checked into our motel the reception guy advised that we might not want to stay out late on the streets as the miners were due in town tonight. Security personnel were already outside the pubs at 4.30 in the afternoon so we took his advice. The town was still in one piece the next morning though. I guess if you've just spent 10 days underground you're entitled to let off a little steam 😉)

Chrissie suggested that we might like to take a drive out to Finch Hatton Gorge. We did. We liked a lot. Thanks for the good advice Chrissie, we're really looking forward to seeing you.

Long drive tomorrow, we've found an inexpensive 1 bed apartment at the seaside, about 3-4 hours from Brisbane, so we'll stay there for a few days before the final leg into Brissie. Sorry, but the weather looks really nice down there. Not quite so hot, not quite so humid.

Trust me he'll find a negative somewhere and be only to willing to share it with me, endlessly - and you guys! There's gotta be a book in this somewhere - a 100 ways to annoy jb...... mmmm may need more pages. Too hot, too cold, too many shops, not enough shops, no veggie (despite the fact he eats fish and I don't) the wife knows nothing oh the wife knows too much, oh she can drive (he hates that) oh she doesn't (cue; he hates that too) I could go on but hey I don't think any of us have enough time....mind you the forum is still going.

I'm really in trouble, I hadn't realised the aircon unit in the motel was an aircon unit......... and poo-pooed B's suggestion that it was. Oooooops. I put it down to advancing senility. I've got some crawling to do. I'd probably better go shopping with her. Or something like that.






Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



21st December 2008

Shakey
I assume you were moving around, hence the shakey camera movements OR was that due to whatever substance makes you happy ! Lovely looking and I hear the bird songs. So sad you have to be down there when it is 5 degrees here in Kansas.

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb