Longreach


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Longreach
June 26th 2010
Published: June 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Alpha MuralAlpha MuralAlpha Mural

Alpha renowned for number of murals on buildings
Well, we’ve made reasonable headway since the last entry. We’re now at Longreach after one-night stops at Duaringa and Alpha. Duaringa was our first “free” camp where we had to use our own resources. ie. gas, generator, van tank water etc. All went well except for Rose suffering a touch of food poisoning from a dodgy sausage roll she had eaten along the road. Memories of Cook Islands????
The campsite at Alpha was lovely with, once again, very friendly people, always willing to give their advice.
The town is renowned for the number of murals painted on various buildings around town.
We have been lucky to have a tailwind most of the time we have travelled, so the fuel consumption is not as bad as we expected. Paid $1.38/L for diesel? The car is coping well with the 2.5T it is towing, although she does slow down a bit when she reaches a hill. No signs of the problem we had with the car prior to leaving Tewantin, thank goodness. We will be moving into warmer weather over the next week or so, so we’ll see how it copes?
Shortly after leaving Alph, we killed an eagle. Poor thing flew straight into us!! Rose hoped it had just been stunned but by the amount of feathers blowing in the wind behind us, I had to tell her it was flattened - spread eagle!!!!

We had hoped to do a sunset cruise on the Thompson River tonight but they were fully booked, so we drove down a long dirt track and watched the sunset from the river bank instead. We are booked in for a tour of the Qantas museum tomorrow.

Hope your all well.

Cheers

John & Rose



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Barcaldine 1Barcaldine 1
Barcaldine 1

Barcaldine is famous as the place of the birth of the Labour Party. The plaque tells the story.
Tree of KnowledgeTree of Knowledge
Tree of Knowledge

Inside the memorial.


16th July 2010

You are...
one sick puppy John Rowe - spread eagle - and this is only the start of The Trip!

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb