Dancing and Partying Aboriginal Style


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Kuranda
November 2nd 1989
Published: August 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

What is it about waterfalls? You wouldn't give them a second thought back in England, but the instant you get abroad you are prepared to travel miles to go and see them. There was a lot to see on the two day tour of the rain-forests of the Atherton Tableland west of Cairns, but it did include an awful lot of waterfalls, although in the heat we were extremely grateful for the opportunity to swim. The first day also included a volcanic lake, and several large trees (in a rain-forest - amazing!) which were actually very spectacular.

In the evening, we went to a pub which was the main drinking hole for all the local Aborigines. Now these people knew how to have a good time. They were hugging each other, dancing on tables, re-enacting tribal stories and generally partying and celebrating for no reason in particular. The place was famous for it and had all but become a tourist attraction.

The next day started with a walk along a nature trail (something else that I would never do back in England) which was very good for the hangover. We then went to an Aboriginal dance theatre which was absolutely fantastic. A group of Aborigines told stories, sang songs, danced, played a didgeridoo and gave a superb insight into the Aborigine culture.

We returned to Cairns on the Cairns to Kuranda (or Kuranda to Cairns in our case) scenic railway, which was - urrr - scenic.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Fruit BatsFruit Bats
Fruit Bats

Tropical fruit bats in the trees
Cairns to Kuranda TrainCairns to Kuranda Train
Cairns to Kuranda Train

The train ready to leave Kuranda
Cairns to Kuranda TrainCairns to Kuranda Train
Cairns to Kuranda Train

The train as it goes over a bridge
Atherton TablelandAtherton Tableland
Atherton Tableland

View from the train
WaterfallWaterfall
Waterfall

Waterfall near Kuranda
WaterfallWaterfall
Waterfall

Another waterfall near Kuranda


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb