The Great Escape


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Hervey Bay
January 5th 2015
Published: February 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

After all the excitement of feeding the dolphins, I needed some quiet time. The last couple of weeks I have been with my brother and is wife in a small city called Hervey Bay, about 3 and a half hours north of Brisbane.









I have enjoyed wandering around the neighbourhood, snapping pics of a variety of beautiful flowers, so omnipresent as to be taken for granted by the locals, but eliciting endless squeals of delight and unabashed hand-clapping from any Canadian who is fortunate to have escaped The Extreme North-American Deep Freeze, as I have.







I also enjoy the wrought-iron gates that are so popular as well as the odd tractor





Now, all of this is certainly enough to make Hervey Bay a great chill-out spot......BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE! I happen to be about 5 minutes from the beach.







It is not always this deserted......but I have never been there when it is truly crowded.

Brisbane is near the coast and a travel brochure lists the various beaches to chose from, depending on one's style. One was described as being, "a happening place for the in crowds, as long as one does not mind being surrounded by super-models in expensive designer bikinis". Suffice to say, this utterly unhappening little beach in Hervey Bay suits me just fine.



There is a nice little coffee shop called Enzo's and lots of shade....

so I have spent many happy hours relaxing in the astonishingly clean, ick-free waters,

ok....there was the odd crab and jelly fish but not enough to really be bothered with;

walking in the sand, snapping pics of the designs made by nature,



.............................this one looks kinda like a maple leaf

.............................................still trying to find one that looks like Elvis in that horrible jumpsuit.......



the occasional sample of man-made sand art...................................................................................................................................................

............lounging in the shade with a good book, stretched out in this comfy hammock..........

and enjoying an excellent cup of long black........

I also had lots of time to observe how the regulars make their beach experience more comfortable.

Some bring their own shade, big enough for the entire family...........................................................................................

.........others like to keep cool in the water while enjoying a good book......



while most people love to stretch out on a blanket on the sand.....the odd one seems to prefer a large pipe.........................................



Some indulge in water sports.............including Fido....



Some of the doggies prefer dry land.......talk about the ultimate digging spot!.........or just for strolling....



...and then there is beach cricket....oh my.....



Wandering around I encounter a variety of birds..........especially at low tide as they search for lunch...



Then I came across this little guy......apparently ship-wrecked.......but seems they are coming for ya...



Lots to capture one's attention and keep one occupied.....but most of all....just miles and miles of exquisite beach.

























Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb