Making our way South down the East Coast of Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Hervey Bay
October 28th 2008
Published: October 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We left Cairns on the 19th October and headed down to Mission Beach only a couple of hours on the Greyhound and then afterwards went to Townsville. We spent Dan's birthday here (not by choice just happened to be!), places down the East Coast have been pretty quiet country towns. Fine for a short stop over to break up the journey just browsing the shops, getting the beers in and chilling out by the lagoons.

After Townsville to stared in Airlie Beach, what a highlight so far. There's always a party in Airlie!! We met Ash from the bus terminal and shortly after got on the beers at Magnums (where we eventually ended up staying). Airlie is where the Aussie's like to holiday, i wud say its like Newquay at home. Young, good bars, live music, and everyone is up for a laugh...also not forgetting the amazing Whitsunday islands, 74 islands in total.

We just chilled in Airlie during the day by an impressive lagoon and then by night headed out, good acoustic music and excellent cocktails! will never forget the rum bar! ash you'll need to tell me that 1st rum we tried, so smooth! none of this barcardi nonsense!!! margaritas, mojitos, really good :-) The 2nd night we had an unexpected bigger night than planned, always the way tho isnt it?? Ended up at the foam party and then the lagoon at 1am in the morning. The only people in the lagoon were English! Too cold for the Aussies! haha.

The next day we booked a sailing trip around the whitsundays on Maxiragamuffin, an 80ft long boat that has won the famous Sydney to Hobart race 3 times in a row. Usually it has a crew of 26 but today only 4 and a scuba instructor. Had to help the crew out, great fun! So good when the engine was turned off and we were truely sailing. Yet again this pc is too slow to get all my photos up but im sure you will see them soon!! :-)

We left Airlie and headed to Rockhampton (Rocky) to break up the trip to Hervey Bay. Rocky was an interesting place!! A very small town and we stayed on the 'main strip' through town. The only place open for food last night was Subway, i rest my case!!!!! Sunday night is the busiest night in town, which was when we arrived. The locals had been at the pub since 4pm and im not sure we could have caught up after a 6 hour coach ride at 8/9 at night! Stayed in our cheapest hostel so far though which is good for the budget! 8quid each a night, basic but clean! I am definately getting use to this hostel lark!!

So now we are in Hervey Bay, seems nice. Seems quiet at the moment, but we'll see im sure the backpackers will be out on the town later on. Thinking of a dip in the pool after the net and then going for our freebie backpacker dinner :-)

Love to you all xxxxxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb