Frazer Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Hervey Bay » Fraser Island
March 18th 2008
Published: March 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

G'day mate,

It took us about 3 1/2 hours up the coast to reach Hervey bay. Before we checked in at a camp, we stopped in town and booked up a one day safari of Frazer island the following day. The tour started at 7.20am so got up about 6.30am. A coach picked us up from the camp and continued to pick up everyone else. In total there was about 20 people on the trip. We got dropped to the ferry by our tour guide, Pete, who would come with us on the ferry and he would also drive the 4*4 coach on the island.

The ferrytook about an hour. When we arrived we got dropped on the West side of the island. So in the 4*4 bus (which was really weird), we drove across to the other side! It was extremely bumpy and would be awesome if you had a quad, as all the roads are sand! The island was once used for logging so these were the same roads used for that, and once that finished it became a world heritage site!

We learnt about all different types of flora and fauna and that Frazer island
Welcome to Frazer Island...Welcome to Frazer Island...Welcome to Frazer Island...

..the largest sand island in the world!
is the largest sand island in the world! So is quite incredible that a huge subtropical rainforest has grown here on pur sand! At first you go through bush which isnt that dense and realatively small trees, but the further in you go, the more it turnsto a rainforest and were told to be careful of snakes and spiders. Great! But it was fine and actually really beautiful! Alot different to other forests we had been to in Asia. They reckon there is more sand on this island than the sahara desert!

When we finally reached the other side of the island to happy valley, we had an excellent buffet lunch. Once we had had our fill we set off down the beach to have a look at the coloured sand formations, which is made up of different minerals giving them their different colours. Next we drove, further along the beach to Eli creek, which is full of natural rain water, running from the island to the sea. There were lots of people here having a paddle, so we went and joined them!

It was nice to do this as the ocean is out of bounds! As there
the safari bus..the safari bus..the safari bus..

..4x4 and huge!
are many fish in the water by Frazer, there are many sharks, along with box jelly fish and a type of kelp that will burn your skin if you come in contact with it! We were hoping to see some wild dingos as they are the purest in East Australia, but we didnt!

Coming back down the beach we stopped at the shipwreck site SS Maheno, which was built by the scottish as a war hospital ship and then sold for scrap to the Japanese. When they were towing it back to Japan it broke loose in a storm and ended up on Frazer island about 70 years ago! It was pretty rusty but cool to have a look at. After, we went back to happy valley for an ice cream, befor heading to Lake Garawongera to have a swim. When we got there we were expecting a nice clear blue lake but it was a stained brown colour from the tannins of the trees! Although it would have been great for cleaning jewellery!

A few people went in but then it started to rain and Pete had done some afternnon tea with muffins also! We had had
the rain forest..the rain forest..the rain forest..

..the trees were massive.
a good day but were not impressed as much as we had hoped, but then again, we had been to some of the most beautiful places in the world! Included in that were Loas with there clear spa lakes, so its hard to compete with that! We got dropped back at 7pm so it was a pretty full day. We were both pretty tired and had to be up early for the drive to Brisbane the next morning - Our last stop in OZ!

Until next time, party on dudes

Rob and Han x x x x




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

walking in the forest..walking in the forest..
walking in the forest..

..it felt quite humid like asia but nos as intense.
Rob watching where he puts his feet..Rob watching where he puts his feet..
Rob watching where he puts his feet..

..there are no snakes or spiders on the path..i promise!!
going on a flight of the island...going on a flight of the island...
going on a flight of the island...

...it cost an extra $70!
the coloured sands....the coloured sands....
the coloured sands....

...they have this colour because of minerals in the sand.
Rob by sands...Rob by sands...
Rob by sands...

...they are built up over years and become solid.
on the beach..on the beach..
on the beach..

...happy to be in the sunshine!
the view of the beach...the view of the beach...
the view of the beach...

..it wasn't amazing but still nice.
sticks...sticks...
sticks...

...sticks!!!!
the shipwreck..the shipwreck..
the shipwreck..

...its much bigger than we thought.
through the porthole..through the porthole..
through the porthole..

..good picture rob!
the ship...the ship...
the ship...

..it might not still be here in 30 years time as it is getting washed away gradually.
Eli creek..Eli creek..
Eli creek..

..it's really fresh water.
cheese...cheese...
cheese...

..we were like big kids in here!
the lake..the lake..
the lake..

..it wasn't quite what we expected but still pretty.
sun in the sky..sun in the sky..
sun in the sky..

..by hannah lamble!
footprints in the sand..footprints in the sand..
footprints in the sand..

..just like the poem.
they've come to save us..they've come to save us..
they've come to save us..

..we don't have to capture 2 turtles and ride on their backs(pirates of the caribean)!
the island view..the island view..
the island view..

..from the ferry.


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb