Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Hervey Bay » Fraser Island
December 12th 2007
Published: December 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We got to Hervey Bay in the evening of December 8th, and had a pizza fest ready for 3 days of hunger on Fraser Island.

The next morning, we got put into our group (it was the usual 8 of us) and were given our camping equipment, 4x4 (Toyota Landcruiser) and then we got to go shopping. We bought a ton of food and then were on our way.

The ferry ride over there was ok, but everyone was getting grumpy and tired. We drove around lots, laid on the beach and did some offroad driving (well, Ollie did, I decided I only wanted to drive on the beach, which in itself was v cool!).

The first night, we set up camp - the boys put up the tents and Heather and Simone cooked a BBQ for everyone. I concentrated on my own veggie burgers!

That night was fine - we played games and drinking games, and invited the Aussie couple at the next site, Doug and Kylie to join us, which was cool.

The middle day was great - we walked 2ks over sand dunes (which nearly killed me!) to Lake Wabby. Just chilled out.

That night was eventful...the boys set up the tents and Heather and I started cooking spaghetti bolognaise. It was all going well until a dingo ran over (we named it Ivan) and swiped the bread from the table! Clare and I freaked out and hid in the van! The others thought it was funny. Eventually we all clanged pots and pans at it which it didn't like, and it ran off. It made a few reappearances all evening, with everyone going to the toilet in groups of 4 as you're never supposed to be alone as dingoes can attack! Even whilst we were in our tents (trying to get an early night -read through the lines - scared!) Ivan came back, rattling in our cutlery box!!! AGHHHH!!! Scary. But I think they just get bad press, because on the final day, we all went to Lake MacKenzie and a dingo trotted down to the water for a drink! Everyone was crowding around it taking photos, it wasn't a big deal. It didn't look fazed by the attention, it was just thirsty!

So now we're home safely and that's the amazingly cool stuff (Whitsundays and Fraser) done! Booo.

We're currently in Noosa which is a very rich (and expensive!) place but very nice. We're here for a couple of days and then off to Brisbane! Looks like we may miss out on Steve Irwin's zoo though as the bus is fully booked :o( We will have to see if there's a way around it.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb