Fraser Island!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Hervey Bay » Fraser Island
July 13th 2007
Published: July 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We got to Hervey Bay off the night bus about ten am and got picked up by an absolutely crazy man who at first seemed ok but soon got a little irritating and I think racist which wasn't fun! He had the dirtiest laugh ever! But it was free so we couldn't complain! We had a free nights stay in the Koala's hostel there as we had to leave early the next morning to start our Fraser island trip and we had a briefing that afternoon where we got put into two groups, we were in Group A which soon became 'Team A', the four of us and six guys who were all awesome which was really lucky, we all got on brilliantly straight away and it really made the trip that much better. We had to watch a video on keeping safe etc whilst camping on the island and I think it's intention was to essentially put the fear of God into us. Every other sentence seemed to be 'or you will die'. We were warned about the dingoes on the island, wild dogs which would savagely attack you if you so much as looked at them, the advice was to cross your arms over your chest (or you will die) and if we weren't so petrified it would have been very comical!! Also when it came onto telling us about the four wheel drives we had to drive they finished every nice driving along the beach scene with an image of the car in some form of wreck! Not to mention the tiger sharks, viscious waves and various other island dangers! Another threat was the loss of our bonds, the money we had paid as a deposit for taking the 4wd out, the main way was by getting salt water on it (most of the driving was on the beach- awesome!!).
After the briefing we went and got our food and then just slobbed out with some of the guys from our group in the freezing cold lounge room, the night bus had knackered us again so we had a ridiculously early nine thirty night! We are so used to our early mornings now that getting up at six wasn't as bad as it could have been! We got all our stuff sorted into a smaller bag and went to load up the truck, team A started our three day brilliance by being first to sort everything out and be ready to go (a common cry from our American team member Byron was 'Team B you suck!) so we set off on our adventure!! The first day we actually managed...

Have run out of time, will add more asap!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb