GREEN ISLAND


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Green Island
October 28th 2011
Published: October 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

GREEN ISLAND DAY TRIP

Green Island is a very tiny island just off the coast of Cairns. It was a bit of an extravagant thing to do but we are so glad we went. It would have been nice to stay overnight but we have 23 little animals waiting for us back in Mareeba. One in particular would have been extremely traumatised if we didn’t come back.

The weather was brilliant, sunny and 30, light winds and the water temperature was perfect so we picked a good day to go.

Bit of an early start to get on the boat in Cairns and possibly our 10th trip down the Kuranda range but we have exhausted all the things to do on the Tableland so it’s back down the range we go. The more you drive it the shorter it seems to get.

Boat ride over was 45mins in air-conditioned comfort with free tea and coffee and biscuits (not instant either) It was packed! Was thinking that Green Island is too small for all these people! Somehow everyone dispersed once off the boat and the place felt quite calm and quiet.

As you can see we had
Green Island JettyGreen Island JettyGreen Island Jetty

Peter after snorkeling. Tide was out so we had to go all the way out to the end of the Jetty.
a very splurgy lunch with a few ice cold drinks to wash it down, which then meant we had to have a nap on the beach in the shade. Decided we would go snorkelling after our sleep which was not the best decision as when we woke up the tide was out and the water very shallow. But we still snorkelled, it just meant we had to wade further out to get deep enough water.

So many beautiful fish and coral. Even Peter who can barely swim had a good time after he got the hang of floating. It’s amazing he actually saw any fish with the amount of arms and legs kicking and flurrying he did at the start.

It was a long day and we were both very tired. I don’t know how we are going to cope when we have to go back to work. (It’s going to kill us!)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.076s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb