Great Barrier Reef Trip


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Great Barrier Reef
February 3rd 2010
Published: February 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well today is the day - we are due to board the Passions of Paradise boat which will take us out into the reef for the day allowing us the chance to snorkel and possibly even scuba dive (we have 10 minutes free to see if we like it then the opportunity to carry on).

We take our time walking to the marina and grab some breakfast. Check in at 7.30am and given another heavy waiver to sign and our boarding passes.

We set sail and head to our first destination - Michaelmas Cay - white sand, turquoise water and a bird sanctuary (there is only a small area accessible to people as the island is the home of the birds therefore they get most of it!). We have exclsive mooring today which means only our group will be in the water!

As we have both been talked into trying scuba diving we are in group 2 so we will snorkel later - dive first aaarrrggggggghhhhhhh! We listen to the safety briefing and get kitted out and wait our turn.

There is no other word for it I'm scared and Rob is excited. The tanks are so heavy we waddle to the edge of the boat - no turning back now! Rob jumps in (its more of a walk off the edge) i take the seated option.

Once in the water we cant believe how light the equipment feels. off we go to the first rope (1m deep) to practice using our regulator, we have to show we can do certain skills before moving to the next rope (taking out our regulator, breathing out and putting it back in - all under water!). Onto rope two (2m deep) this is where we decide if we want to carry on.

I think to myself i have done more than i ever imagined so would be quite happy to get out, so i sign to the guide that i want up - he takes me to the surface only to tell me i have done the hardest part - it would be silly to back out now! He tells me i should join him in seeing the fishes! Sold! Off i go again - Oh no Rob has been put in another group!

First i see Nemo, then a turtle and before i know it Rob floats by snapping away with the camera (he later told me he hand fed the turtle vegetation). Next came the giant clam, my group were not as content as me at seeing it from above so low and behold we were sat at the bottom of the great barrier reef with our hands opening and closing this giant clam - amazing!

Once i reach the surface i see Rob apologizing for the separation but the way we see it now is its been an amazing experience and we each saw different things.

Next its lunchtime all this scuba diving has made us hungry! We then head to Paradise Reef where we spend our time snorkeling.

We then sail back to the marina spotting fishes and turtles along the way. What an amazing day!

UNFORTUNATELY THE PICTURES ARE ON A CD AND AS WE DO NOT HAVE A CD DRIVE WE ARE UNABLE TO PUBLISH PHOTOS AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1010.1kb