The travelling begins!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gold Coast
April 7th 2014
Published: April 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone,

Happy holidays! I hope you are all having a brilliant Easter break?

I have finished teaching Term 1 in Melbourne so... the travelling really begins now! We are driving and working our way up the East Coast of Australia from Byron Bay - Port Douglas :-)

So far we have had 2 nights in Byron Bay where we discovered a beautiful coastal walk from Byron Bay to Cape Byron, viewing the most easterly point of Australia's mainland and an extremely old (slightly scary!) lighthouse. Byron Bay is a very small holiday town with lots of lovely places to eat and drink whilst listening to live music. Most of the live music was played by local teenagers busking... all were extremely talented!

We then had 2 days along the Gold Coast, visiting lots of beaches: 'Surfers paradise', 'Burleigh Heads' and 'Miami'. They were all such beautiful beaches with gorgeous white sand. You can tell why these beaches are hotspots for surfers worldwide, absolutely massive waves! The beaches are constantly patrolled by lifeguards to ensure everyone is swimming between the red and yellow flags (you are not allowed to swim outside of these designated areas because the waves are far too fierce!). Slightly hairy! We also went up the Q1 Tower and viewed the Gold Coast from the 77th floor!

Next we visited Springbrook National Park (not far from Surfers Paradise) which was absolutely beautiful and so different from the parts of Australia we have seen so far, it was lovely to see a bit of greenery!

We drove through the HUGE National Park and discovered a beautiful rainbow where we could see the start and the end of it, from one mountain to another, which was very special (sadly we didn't find a pot of gold)! We then parked the car and walked through the rainforest :-) where we discovered the 'Natural Bridge'. The Natural Bridge originally formed as a result of a volcanic eruption and has now continued to form through water erosion. We were able to walk under the bridge (which was very much like a cave) and see the end of a huge waterfall! There were lots of bats being busy and feeding in there too which was was very noisy but amazing to watch. Sadly we didn't see the glow worms on the roof of the bridge as it wasn't dark enough, maybe next time!

I have attached a few photos for you all to see :-) I hope you enjoy looking at them!

NEXT STOP Brisbane for 2 days before heading to Hervey Bay and Fraser Island... I will update you all soon on my next stop!

Lots of love,

Miss Jo x


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Cape Byron Cape Byron
Cape Byron

The view from the lighthouse.
Springbrook National ParkSpringbrook National Park
Springbrook National Park

The Natural Bridge.
Springbrook National ParkSpringbrook National Park
Springbrook National Park

The Natural Bridge.
Springbrook National ParkSpringbrook National Park
Springbrook National Park

The Natural Bridge.
Q1 SkypointQ1 Skypoint
Q1 Skypoint

The view from the 77th floor.


10th April 2014

We've just missed you!
We have just arrived in Brisbane to see the Aussie half of my family and it looks like we missed you by just 1 day! Enjoy the rest of your trip - sounds amazing so far. Mum says you are reminding her of her backpacking Oz trip many many moons ago! Alice Cox (Saturday mornings @ Grafton)
11th April 2014

Oh what a shame! We left this morning to drive to Noosa... which is absolutely gorgeous! Not long until July - I hope to see Alice at the summer school? Miss Jo x

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb