Burleigh and Brisbane


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gold Coast » Burleigh Heads
January 14th 2009
Published: January 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

14/1/09 = A hot day at Burleigh Heads

Woke up early as usual and stirred in bed from 6am until 7am. Impossible to get back to sleep because Canadian, in bed near mine, was snoring like Thomas the Tank Engine and also talking to himslef. In that hour, contemplated lots of methods to silence him, but settled with putting my fingers in my ears; that way, none of us got hurt. So glad when Hat got up just after 7 and so did English guy Alex. Hate being awake on my own and have never like Thomas the Tank Engine. Got some breakfast, then all went to eat outside. Chilled and chatted for a while, then came in and got ready for day. Had already planned to visit Burleigh Heads because Claire (part of the lovely family that adpoted us at christmas) had recommended it to us. Were all up and ready by 9:30, so off we went.

Got bus to Burleigh and as soon as we got on it started to rain...oh no. Contemplated turning back, but decided to see it through, rain or no rain. By time got off bus, was absolutely scorching hot and not a
The gangThe gangThe gang

Chilling in the shade. Wow...it was hot!
cloud in sky. Walked to beach and pleased to see it was beautiful, but also incredibly full. Walked a little further and found an emptier spot with a bit more breeze; was so still and intensely hot today. Parked our towels down, lathered cream on and collapsed. Didn't take 1min before boys had gone off to play football, 2 mins before Hat was too hot and went to find shade, 3 mins until Deb got too hot and followed. I was really hot, but couldn't be bothered to move. Hat came for me after 5mins and described me as an 'absolute sweat monster', prompting me to move onto grass with her and Deb. Was much nicer up there because had an actual breeze. Deb was asleep, but was way too hot for me, so me, Hat and Alex did a crossword. Had 15mins in sun then, but was so hot, has to retreat to shade with Hat. Can't believe how hot it is!

Spent rest of day chatting as a group, playing a throwing game with stones (which I was of course rubbish at and never once hit a target) and just generally chilling out. Burleigh = great place for view of Surfers Paradise and skyline of all buildings looked brilliant. As 2pm came, decided was an acceptable time to have fish and chips, which Claire had said was the main reason to visit Burleigh for. Only problem was that didn't know which fish and chip shop was the best, so just opted for the one we could find easily. Major disappointment when put through order and found out they didn't sell breadcakes....no breadcakes...how can they call themselves a fish and chip shop when they don't have bread?!? Also didn't have any vinegar for customer to use; only they put it on. Re-iterated 3 times how important the large quantity of vinegar was, but still don't think they got it. Got a drink and took fish and chips back to grass, waiting with baited breath (ha...no pun intended...really!). Results:
1) Chips were very...strange. Not fried in usual way, but actually semi-battered, like a fish. So each chip was individually battered. That might float some peoples boat, but I'm not a fan of the batter anyway, so not good news for me.
2) Fish was actually really nice; just right amount of batter.
3) All had nowhere near enough vinegar
Close up of SurfersClose up of SurfersClose up of Surfers

Brilliant skyline.
on.

Was late afternoon by this stage, but the sun was still really hot, so we all stayed in shade and played some cards. Really nice to have such a chilled day. By 4:30, decided to pack up and head back to hostel. Were all totally fed up of sun. Had to wait a while for a bus and got chatting to a nice old Australian lady who was fascinated with Royal Family. Told me all about who was/is 'gay' in the Royal Family, which apparently was/is everyone...especially the guys. Was a really lovely lady, but scared me quite alot. She had such bad skin damage from sun and have never seen wrinkles like it...put me off sun and found myself pulling my hat down even more. Too late now though I guess.

Got on bus and all ended up having little naps on way back because were so tired. Got off and used internet for a while (seems like ages since been on), but was so tired that couldn't concentrate, so had to come off after 30mins. Back to hostel and got in grotty shower, which actually made me feel loads better. Got out and Friends was
Freaky Deaky birdsFreaky Deaky birdsFreaky Deaky birds

This is like the Oz equivalent of a duck. They just casually wonder around everywhere like a normal little duck. Would NOT want to feed bread to this guy!
on TV=brilliant. One good thing about sleeping in living room = own private TV. Guys headed off to supermarket and picked up some things for us and I had a nice fruit, museli and yoghurt dinner. Talking about Thailand earlier in day had made me want it. Chilled out in bed then. Chatted a while to guys, then got a much needed early night. Would really like to get up early for a run in morning.


15/1/09 = Arriving in Brisbane

Up early, but couldn't get back to sleep because already had idea of an early morning run in my head. Hat got up at 7am and that decided it. Got up, got ready and set off for run at 7:30. Swiss guy from our block was a runner and had already said about a great run along beach, so thats where I headed. Been a while since last did a run and actually looking forward to it. Had to get through city first (traffic lights annoying), but when got to beach, was brilliant. Beach had a pavement running alongside it that went whole way down it. Loads of people were out exercising and beach looked lovely.
Surfers Paradise BeachSurfers Paradise BeachSurfers Paradise Beach

Not to everyones taste, but still pretty cool I think.
Had a nice steady run and found out straight away that Swiss guy was right; morning sun was boiling. So glad that trees had been planted along walkway, meant that most of run was in shade. Was feeling really good, so in my cockiness, went out for more than 20mins = a return of more than 20mins. As soon as got to end point, got stitch. Spent whole journey back determined not to stop or slow down, so wasn't quite as enjoyable as way out. By time got back to hostel, had done 45mins and felt lot better 😊 Got great (not grotty) shower and had breakfast. Rushed around to get packed up and checked out at 9:30 to head into town and use internet. Cameras actually worked in internet = a big achievment these days and after an hours laoding, had a quick walk to check out beach a bit better.

Haven't met anybody that liked Surfers Paradise yet, but I thought beach was really nice. Yes, surrounded by skyscrapers, but sea and sand still beautiful. Had quick walk along beach, then did even quicker walk to get back to hostel in time for leaving. Ended up setting off late for the greyhound bus anyway and the ridiculous 'limo' was way too full! Had to crush in an extra 2 girls by having giant bags on our legs and when arrived at bus stop, bus was already waiting. 2 girls that we had helped, just tottled off out of limo and left us buried under a mountain of bags...must be a moral to that story...can't be to never help people though...can it? Wriggled and dug our way out, then headed over to bus, making sure got on it before 2 girls! Ian (from Coffs Harbour) was there and also waiting for bus; strange how you always keep running into people...although I suppose we are all doing same thing. Short journey to Brisbane and v.excited to be staying at Base hostel; supposed to be one of best chains of hostels in Oz.

Base van picked us up and when walked into reception, stood at end of long queue. Waited for 25mins (little annoyed at this stage), staff annoying because trying too hard to be funny and rooms really not all that nice. Visiting Austalia zoo tomorrow, so all tried to put cameras on charge, only to find there
Crammed into limoCrammed into limoCrammed into limo

Fair enough, had seats facing each other, but in no other way was this car like a limo!
was onle plug socket for the whole room. 1 plug for 8 people. Joke! Too hungry to decide what to do for rest of day, so went to make some toast with bread we had left. Kitchen = worst kitchen of all hostels ever stayed in. Completely filthy. Even bugs didn't want to live in it. Base = really not good! Needed to get out, so asked quickly what there was to see and do and ended up just having a wonder around anyway. Walked up main street = Queen street and called into Tribal Travel to use internet for free. Rubbish lady there only let us use it for 30mins, but then Hat called into Peter Pans to book rest of her trip, so used internet there instead. After nearly 2 hours, eyes totally boggled and definitley square. Glad to see it was 6:30 and shop closed at 7. Chilled out and read paper while waiting for Hat. So happy when 7o'clock came and could leave 😊

Called into supermarket on way back and got ingrediants for chicken stir fry. Luxory to be eating chicken. Had to pay $10 each for a cutlery set at hostel(another joke) and when started to cook, found that they didn't even have any equipment. Hat had to go and ask/demand some. Finally started cooking and dinner was lovely. V.greedy lately and found myself nearly eating 2 dinners...need to calm that down! Straight up to bed then and all absolutely shattered. Climbed into the squeekiest bed ever (sorry person underneath me) and ended up falling to sleep with light on because was so shattered. Excellent sleep, but woke up with a jump after 5mins, as dreamed a crocodile had bitten me in half...must be excited for zoo tomorrow...although I hope that doesn't happen!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb