Since the last entry


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gold Coast » Broadbeach
September 26th 2011
Published: September 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

the vanthe vanthe van

pack up number 19
It has been some time since the last entry and we have been forgetting to take the camera, so the photos are scarce. After Yeppoon, we spent 2 days at Hervey Bay. We tried our luck again, fishing off the pier but no luck! The beaches were beautiful. Unfortunately the huge stinger warnings (including the fact that some are life threatening and the need to call emergency if stung) plus the bottles of vinegar at many coastal spots has made the water a little less inviting). We have seen some spectacular swimming spots. However, the reassurance at the caravan parks that all is generally okay at this time of year has not been enough for us to send the kids in. The only exception are beach areas specifically designed with stinger nets.
There are many Queenslanders at the northern places (I guess that being QLD that makes sense). However, many are from all the inland mining towns which are booming at the moment. They take 3-4 day breaks with the families and head with their boats to the water.

We could not get over the number of roadworks up here-it is crazy. On one day, we estimated that we stopped at over 12 roadworks and it added at least 1 and 1/2 hours to the trip. The truckies were getting mad. Very mad. Once again, we turned the CB off. We don't know if they are improving the roads to deal with their crazy driving. There aren't many overtaking lanes above Noosa, so they just take
a chance and hope for the best.

We have continued to see huge tracts of sugar cane plantation and coal trains that seem to go on forever heading to the ports in large numbers.

After Hervey Bay, we headed to Noosa (well the outskirts) for 5 nights. Wow, how different to Uluru and Kings Canyon. It was absolutely packed! The fact that QLD had begun holidays and the southern states about to start had something to do with it. It was a shock on the first day, sitting in traffic jams. However, we just hit the beach and on 3 of the days, the kids surfed. Once agin, no camera. The beach was beautiful and more fishing was attempted. Will has declared that when he is 16, he is moving up with a mate. I suggested that he waits until he is 18. He is going to get a job that has something to do with surfing. Grace loved the beach and the shops.

So now we have 4 nights on the Gold Coast. We are doing the obligatory theme parks. I have been told that I can choose which one I would like to do on my birthday. We are now in week 7 and definitely on the home stretch. We worked out today that we have set and packed up 20 times and now have it down to a quick speed. We had our first rain today since the day we left, 7 weeks ago-hard to believe.

We have now covered about 7,000kms.






Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb