Wabby wakes


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
May 7th 2006
Published: June 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

The A Team!The A Team!The A Team!

Paul, Henrich, Katie, Caz, Julia, Lorna, Ross, Sofi, Riley, me and Del
Spent most of the morning lazing around Lake Wabby, a huge, algea-green lake boarded by a massive tropical rainforst on one side and exhausting Sahara-esk sand-dunes on the other.

It wasn't quite as stunning as Lake Makenzie, but fun to swim with the large black cat-fish and roll straight down the burning white dunes into the cool water.

During the afternoon we raced across the sands to the shipwreck of The Maheno, the most famous of the Fraser Island wrecks that was driven ashore just north of Happy Valley during a cyclone in 1935. A Scottish-built vessle and once a well-known trans-Tasman liner, the Maheno was bound for a Japanese wrecking yard when she met her stormy end. Today the hull lies slowly deteriorating in the harsh salt environment.

That evening all 4 teams had managed to assemble at the same camp site by the Maheno, where more drinking, daft games and the kidnapping of other team members made a really good night; chilly, but with a glass of Goon you can get through anything. I should add that madly I managed to bump into a girl who lives on Pinfold Lane in Whitefield(!), yes, us Whitefieldians get around you know - crazy - but she went to Manchester Grammar and other posh places so our home-town bond wasn't really enough to make us best buddies, still, slap with a kipper and call me Charlie, who'd have thought it!



Mon 8th May
Checked out the sweeping views at Indian Head, spotted Rays, Baracooda, and Turtles from the clift-top, before packing up for one last time and setting off for the ferry back to the mainland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Caz and JuliaCaz and Julia
Caz and Julia

Caz is modelling a delightful polka-dot mac while sporty Julia prefers sheik black.


8th June 2006

Wowza!
Awesome photies Rickster! Ta for sending um!!!

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb