Day 2 Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
April 27th 2010
Published: May 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we are going to explore the north of the Island, the whole beach coast line is 75kms so in the morning we head off on the beach again towards Indian Heads. A short walk up the headland gives super views in both directions and the surf does look very tempting but we have to remember that there are all kinds of lethal animals in there so no surfing today.

After Indian heads we have to manouver the Tank on a very sandy road behind Indian Heads, which Shenton manages no problems and then we reach the Champagne Pools. These are called this because as the waves break over the pools the bubbles look like Champagne. We have a lovely refreshing dip here before we are off up to the northern most point. I ve had no internet or phone connection up to now so when we reach this point I quickly set up my bush office to read my emails as there is a little coverage here. The ranger passes and asks if we are ok and he finds it funny that I am just doing a bit of work.

Back to Cathderal beach for lunch then in the afternoon we drive to Lake Allom. The road looks very short on the map but it is so rugged that it takes us ages to get there. As soon as we arrive there are loads of turtles all coming over to see us. Shenton puts his feet in the lake and some little fish swim up and nibble at his toes, I guess they must like cheese!

We walk around the lake and Shenton is at the front being our guide, he is telling us to keep quiet and look out for snakes and wildlife and as he turns back to walk forward he is literally a couple of inches from walking into the biggest spider I have ever seen. It is only because as quick as a flash he leans right back that he manages to avoid having the spider wrapped around his face!!!!! I am now completely freaked out and spend the rest of the walk 1 step behind Shenton.

Back at the camp that evening after a couple of bottles of wine Michael starts to wonder why there are not so many fireworks on Fraser Island and decides if he ever comes back it will be with a bag full of catherine wheels!




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Check out the size of this spider!Check out the size of this spider!
Check out the size of this spider!

This was at eye level so would have be wrapped around Shentons face if he had taken one more move!


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb