Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
February 28th 2006
Published: March 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello again!

We arrived in Noosa on the 24th where we decided to book our Fraser Island trips etc. Within 2 hours we were on a coach up to Rainbow Beach to prepare for our briefing on our trip to Fraser Island. We spent one day at rainbow beach in which we spent time at the beach then got briefed on our trip.

On the 26th we went over the island in a self drive 4x4 jeep. There were 9 people in our group, 7 of us and 2 other extras that we didnt know. With the self drive tours, you cant drive unless you are over 21 and therefore the other 2 in our group had to be older. We were put with an engaged couple - an ozzy guy and an english girl, he was 27 and she was 24. You can imagine their first thoughts when they realised they had be paired with a group of seven 19 year olds! Infact as the trip went on he actually admitted that while the briefing was on he actually said that i dont mind being with anyone apart from that group over there - us!

It was alot of fun though and we got on really really well. We all had alot of laughs over all 3 days.

As for Fraser Island. We got onto the island at about 11am and we decided to drive straight to Lake Mackenzie. This lake is apprently the purest fresh water in the world and it is even used untreated at drinking water for the whole island. It was absolutely amazing. Pure white sand surrounded the whole lake and the water was crystal clear. The pictures give a good idea of what it was like but to us it was a paradise.

After the lake we decided to have lunch then drive along the beach to find a camping spot for the night. The evening was loads of fun. The self drive tours supply you with food for the 3 days and you could take your own alcohol with you for the evenings. It was fun to get to know the other 2 (Terry and Rachel) and we all had a very interesting night camped just away from the sea!

The next day we started a little earlier and drove up to another couple of spots which we were told to see. We stopped off at Eli Creek which is another fresh water creek which runs all the way into the see. The water was again crystal clear and very fresh and ran through a mini jungle type area. Another beautiful sight. We then carried up to see the famous shipwreck which was good to. Our final stop of the day was up to Indian Head which is a huge cliff face and a great viewing point. You could see for miles down the island in both directions and forever over the sea! After that we headed back down the island to set up camp again. The second night however provided a tropical storm which ruined our tents and 4 of us ended up sleeping in the back of the 4x4!! We made it a good night in the end - Definetly a night to remember.

The next day we headed back to lake mackenzie as it was so impressive on the first day. We spent a few hours there then headed back to the ferry. Fraser Island was an amazing place and i definetly reccomend it! Hopefully the pictures will give you some sort of idea?
Fraser IslandFraser IslandFraser Island

A view of Fraser from the mainland






Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



1st March 2006

luckyboy!
hey mate its luke looks like ur having a gd time keep us posted.

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb