Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
February 21st 2006
Published: February 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi you lot!

Now onto my favourite part of the trip so far - Fraser Island. (Well we stopped in Brisbane on the way here but not much to report, pretty average city.) Just me and Millsy now as the other two are heading back to Sydney.

Fraser is the world's largest sand island (not that you'd know it as most of the sand is covered in dense rainforest) and you need a 4WD as there are no real roads. Luckily we have Millsy's mum's car although it's not in quite such good condition as when we set out......

We got stuck in the sand before we even got onto the island! Then we got stuck 3 more times, requiring tows. And worst of all we impaled the car on a tree when reversing to avoid a swamp, got stuck, dented it and if it hadn't been for the help of 6 burly blokes we'd probably still be there. Luckily I wasn't driving at that point but I did my share and loved it!

It's a beautiful place - about 75 miles of pure white beach with bumpy sand tracks that take you inland through shady rainforest to hidden lakes (I know you love it here Los, I thought of u!) We managed to see most of them, such clear water! In Lake Wabby we sat in shallow water surrounded by shoals of tiny fish who liked nibbling us (especially millsy's sunburnt peeling back, nice!) Lake Mackenzie was particularly beautiful, completely clear white sand and turquoise waters.

We also spent a lot of time cooling off in Eli Creek which is a natural spring of ice cold water - lovely! It's a great place for star gazing as there is virtually no light except from a couple of other campers. Also notorious for GIANT flies - we were covered! And rampaging dangerous dingoes, although the ones we saw looked very harmless. We did manage to see wild turtles and eagles though.

So after 5 days of camping with the swarming flies it's time to move on. This time to Noosa, more to follow!

Love Aims xxx

Random Facts:-
Shark Attack Survival rate - 100%
Eagles - 3
Dingoes - 5
Turtles - lots
Flies - far too many


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



27th February 2006

Howdy Aims
How wicked is Eli Creek??! And all of Fraser island actually. Tigger and I are VERY jealous. But at least we still have the tickets...

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb