Day 33 and 34, Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
February 22nd 2007
Published: February 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

An early start on day 33 to load up the 4x4 trucks and get the safety talk on driving, camping and the wildlife on the island! There was 11 people in our group. 2 army lads from scotland volunteered to do all the driving so we were quite happy to let them - they were use to driving tanks and all that. somehow my little clio doesn't compare! All our food, sleeping bags and clothes were secured to the roof of the truck, 3 people sat in the fron and 8 of us squashed in the back - very cosy!

We took a ferry over to fraser island. Then came the fun part to adjust to driving on the sand and gravel roads - now i know why this girl i met advised all girls to wear a sports bra!

There are so many beautiful places to see on the island. Everyone tends to head for the main ones but you can basically sort out your own route. You just have to be aware of the times for high and low tide as you drive in the beach. We headed to lake mackenzie first which is amazing. white sand and clear water! we had lunch and a swim and then headed on to an old ship wreck at the top of the island. This is where we set up camp.

Our camp was behind some sand dunes to act as a wind break. There 4 tents - very amusing to watch me try to erect a tent as you can imagine but i am adjusting to this outdoors lifestyle - i have only used my straightners and hairdryer once on the whole trip and that was in singapore. We played our Ipods through the car stereo and cooked pasta and sauce on the gas stove. Lots of cheap wine followed and a very drunk group was the result! we had to make sure all scraps of food were cleared away because of the dingos. The guy at the start had told us we would see them and they would smell any food we left out. Washing the plates in the ocean with sand to scrub them clean is also an experience and helping me get over being a clean freak - no antibacterial wipes here!

Stayed in the tent with Jen and Steve. as were all so drunk it was quite easy to sleep - good job as well as this morning we woke up to find dingo footprints all around our tent - like they had cirlced us!!

Unfortunatly we didn't get up quite as early as we'd planned to breakfast was a little late, 11am instead of 8am! but we managed to cook a good fry up - not bad what you can do with a tiny gas stove! We went to the top of the island called indian head and watched for sharks - didn't see any but again more dingos smelling our delicious breakfast.

Spent the afternoon sunbathing and watching the lads play football before heading back to the ferry port at 4pm. Back on mainland now - about to go and meet everyone for dinner and a drink!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Indian HeadIndian Head
Indian Head

Northern most point of fraser island


Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb