Cape York part 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cooktown
October 12th 2008
Published: October 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 8: We drove to Cooktown, stopping at Endeavour Falls on the way, which definitely needed some rain! A man was killed by a croc a couple of weeks ago in the Endeavour River, so although it's fine to swim at the falls, we all suddenly decided we were suddenly in a rush to get to Cooktown and didn't have time. Cooktown was the biggest town we had seen, and it's very scenic, right on the sea, with a few beaches. So I explored for the afternoon, and we went out that night for the first time. There was a surprising number of German backpackers there, considering the remoteness! Proving that they are everywhere! I met some interesting characters that night, and a group of locals we talked to invited us all to their house after the pub closed. One of the (few) advantages of travelling with a big group of people is that you can accept invitations like that, and we had a great time!

Day 9: ...And a late start the next morning! But when we were finally all packed up, we headed for...CAPE TRIB!! Again!!! Well the Bloomfield Track along the coast from Cooktown to Cape Trib is a great drive, with lots of creek crossings and glimpses of beautiful, empty tropical beaches through gaps in the dense rainforest. I'd actually been up the road a few times already, but not as far as Cooktown, but I still think it's amazing. We stopped at Black Mountain, which looks like a huge pile of black boulders, and Bloomfield Falls, which were incredible, especially considering how dry everything else looked. As always, it was nice to be in Cape Trib, we went to the beach and I was updated on all the recent events!

Day 10: Today, I showed the others around Cape Trib before we drove back to Mareeba and then Cairns. We are returning the car tomorrow morning...hopefully we will only have to pay for one damaged tyre and nothing else...otherwise maybe I'll be working again! But if all goes to plan, I will be heading down the east coast ASAP, after all, I flew up to Cairns 3 months ago to do just that and all I've done is go north and west!

Photos will be up tomorrow, I promise! Maybe even today for you if you're on the other side of the world...but I'm going to bed now, so good morning!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb