East Coast South to North


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape York
July 21st 2011
Published: August 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

These Trees Aren't Burnt .....These Trees Aren't Burnt .....These Trees Aren't Burnt .....

it's road dust and no rain that makes them brown.

Thursday 21st July 2011 Moreton Telegraph Station to Eliot Falls


On through the corrugations! There have sometimes been some panoramic views as we crest the hills, and today we’ve come through glades of tree ferns or maybe cycads. Also seen some huge anthills. At times it feels as if we’re SURFING the corrugations – just like on a wave, it carries you forward and it’s hard to get off! Fruit Bat Falls was a pretty lunch spot, and a good waterhole (if you had time for a swim). From there we went onto the Old Telegraph Line track, which was pretty rough and narrow. We made it to Eliot/Twin Falls after an exciting creek crossing (see photos). We’ll have to return the same way as the link road across to the Peninsula Development Road (PDR) has water crossings which are too deep for us. SO more more excitement on the way back – hope it doesn’t rain tonight or we could be stuck here for days. That may not be so bad – the waterfalls and swimming places are beautiful and the water is warm. Best stop so far! I should mention there are only 2 vehicles here, Nigel & I, and Phil and Paul. The others of our group are experiencing various problems: Con has radiator problems, Rob has a potential front strut problem, Val’s not feeling well and Ray has gone with the others to look after them all. I’m sure we’ll be fine getting out of here tomorrow, and if not one of the many 4WDs here will help. We’ve had a great time floating in the pools here and enjoying the waterfall “spas”, and we saw a gorgeous pair of Ulysses butterflies.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Crossing going in to Eliot FallsCrossing going in to Eliot Falls
Crossing going in to Eliot Falls

Walking through to check the depth
505 Crossing the Creek505 Crossing the Creek
505 Crossing the Creek

on the way into Eliot Falls


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb