Eliott and Twin Falls


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape York
May 16th 2010
Published: May 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our journey now is South all the way. We feel very elated to have made it to the tip and now we know what to expect on the way back down too. We drive to the Jardine ferry and this time there is no waiting around and we do the short ferry ride in no time and we are off. While at the Tip we have heard a story about this river which is quite scary. The ferry only operates from 8am to 5pm and one day a few years ago a local person arrived to cross north at about 5.15pm. The ferry guys had left for the day and instead of settng up camp wih his family he decided to swim the short 100 meter (max) distance to the barge and get it to bring back to take his car and family back over. The problem was a croc was waiting for him and ate him alive while his family watched on! This is not just a folk tale as lots of people have confirmed it to be true......

We plan to drive to the waterfalls that we have read are a must see on the trip and also have camping facilities. The road into the falls is a bit of a challenge but Shenton still has the Mo Jo and of course he is driving tank so we make it without a problem. We arrive at the camping area and thankfully there is only one other camper here. It is really nicely set up within a wooded area and each camp area has its own fire pit so we get a fire started right away.

It is about a 5 minute walk to the falls and you pass two other falls before we get to twin falls which is spectacular. There is one set of falls which cascades onto another set of falls then into a circular swimming hole creating a natural jacuzzi. We cant believe how perfect it is, the bottom of the pool is sandy and you can stand up in most places, there is about 45 sq meters to swim in and we have a lovely cooling swim which is very welcome after a long days driving through the dusty sandy tracks.

We get back to camp around 6pm and make sandwiches for dinner, it is then that a 4wd club on their way to the tip, appear. They construct a small village and have drills, hammers and generators going. They have quad bikes and all kinds of gear! Another group arrive a little later with the same sort of equipemnt for their journey, but all we needed was Tank, the Mo Jo and a nice cup of green tea everyday!

After dinner with 4 blunt razors, Shenton vertually rips the Mo off his face and at last I have my husband back. The joke was on me in the end as he kept it for so long and it made him look so weird. Though I think we did need the Mo Jo and I hope him shaving it off has not jinxed us for the rest of our journey down South.

We settle down for a very warm night and I don't sleep as I am really overheating, but in the morning it is all worth it as we have the falls to ourselves as the villages that were set up last night have already been pulled down and left by 8am, I dont even think they went to see the falls!!!! The swim in the beautiful clear cold waters revives us and gets us ready for the next leg of our journey South.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb