Reefers!


Advertisement
Published: August 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi All
Just spent another tough day here in Queensland, today we took a boat out to the Great Barrier Reef and went snorkelling for the day... Very impressive sights, but have to say that it would have been even better if we really had a clue what we were looking at, rather than trying to avoid Reef Sharks and bashing into the coral! But we managed to get back unscathed!

Prior to today we have spent a couple of days up at Cape Tribulation, in the Daintree National Park, the oldest rainforest in the world. Spent 3 nights at a hotel in the rainforest which was cool - Dave back to nature!! We even had bats hanging outside our window!

More soon!
LoL

29th August update - You now have some pics to look at from our trip to the Reef. The coral was amazing, all sorts of shapes, size and colours and saw all kinds of tropical fish including Nemo! We did take an underwater camera and hope to put some of them up when we get it developed. Not sure what will come out!

The boat headed out from the Cape Tribulation beach and because the day was so calm they took us to Morning reef a place that they can only go to about 10 times a year. Very priviledged! The trip took around an hour and once we got there (after the divers went off) us newies to snorkelling took to the water. It was like being in an aquarium, looking at all these sea creatures going about their business, swimining around whilst we watched.

After a good lunch and a talk about the reef we had another couples of hours of spying on the fish and managed to see a lot more. Got a little scary when a couple not too far away from Dave and I saw a reef shark!!! Luckily it went back to its cave and did not come out again.

It was the best experience and can't wait to go snorkelling in Fiji!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Morning reefMorning reef
Morning reef

Where we snorkelled
Cape Tribulation BeachCape Tribulation Beach
Cape Tribulation Beach

Amazing, shame you can't swim in it!
The RainforestThe Rainforest
The Rainforest

Older than the Amazon!


Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.042s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0653s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb