The Great Barrier Reef


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » open water
July 2nd 2012
Published: July 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

The Great Barrier Reefis one of the greatest natural wonders of the world running from the northernmost tip of Australia to just north of the border. The great barrier reef stretches over 2000km along the countries coast.

The reef is a sanctuary for well over 1000 fish species, whales, turtles. An impressive amount of birdlife live on the reef.

The coral which forms the reef itself is also a living thing, made up of 1000's of tiny creatures. When it dies it turns white, and creates the basis for more reef growth. Different species of coral grow at varying speeds, while some are quite quick to grow, some take well over a hundred years to mature. The colours are not formed by the coral but by the growth of algae living on it.

The reef lives in a tropical climate relying on warm nutrient rich water to thrive. Nutrient rich water and lots of light is required to maintain the health of the coral.

With 100's of 1000's of square miles of reef it is a diving and snorkelling paradise. Various diving tours are available from the mainland up and down the coast. Even if you don't go in the water you can see the wonders of the reef through glass bottom boat tours.

The reef is heritage listed and large areas are protected from fishing and the taking of coral from the reef is prohibited to preserve it for our childrens children.

The tropical and friendly capital of the far north, Cairns is full of life and charm. Positioned in the middle of some of the most awe inspiringly beautiful and environmentally important areas on the planet, Cairns is the obvious doorway to the natural riches of rainforest, tablelands, outback, and The Great Barrier Reef. The city itself has lots of - great bargains, theatres, cinemas, museums, botanical gardens, a casino, and fine international dining. Cairns is firmly established as one of Australia's top travelers destinations, being the departure point for numerous outdoor adventures. Cairns reef tours are undoubtedly the most popular for most tourists, however the area is fast becoming famous as the adventure sport capital of Queensland.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 42; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb