Great Barrier Reef - enough said


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » open water
January 16th 2006
Published: January 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi. Since this will probably be one of my last travelblogs Id just like to thank everyone who has kept in touch and read my blogs. Its been way easier than emailing everyone and thanks for all the msgs. So it is monday and I will be leaving in the morning = WHICH REALLY SUCKS. So not wanting to go back.
Cairns was definitely the cherry on the top of my amazing holiday. Claire and I stayed at a place called GIlligans which was amazing and we had our own 6 persons dorm to ourselves complete with a balcony. THe place where we stayed came complete with a lagoon and its own bar/club. We spent off days basking in the sun by the lagoon and and nights spent at the bar downstairs. Our first highlight was going up to Kuranda which was in the rainforest - we were pleased that it was raining in the morning when we set off on the skyrail as if there was no rain it wouldnt be rainforest - only a lame forest.
The rain stopped as we reached the top of the rail and we spent the day looking at the markets and walking around and we met an aboriginal man who is famous and he gave us a chance playing (or trying to play) a digeridoo. We also got to see how candy (sweets, lollies) are made and that kept us captivated for at least an hour. We then went on a mini nature walk and lay by the river. On the way back down the mountain we took the train which was stunning as you could lean out the window and see all the amazing scenery. Since we had only had two hours of sleep the night before Claire proceeded in falling asleep in a puddle of powerade and waking up with a red stain down her right arm. Needless to say we were party poopers and avoided all those in the hostel to dive into our beds at 8.30.
On thursday we spent another day looking arouknd cairns and swimming in the lagoon and decided that there was no way we were going to do another 1-2hr sleep stint before heading out on a day cruise on the Great BArrier Reef the next day so after much effort Claire got me out from the pub/club at 11pm.
So on friday we woke up expecting a beautiful day for our trip on the reef .
We drew back the curtains................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Only to find the fattest, biggest rain drops pouring before our eyes. But after a very rough ride out to the reef where I proceeded to eat a bag of Sour Cream and Onion chips in front of a couple of hurling passengers the weather cleared up and we arrived at our first location. So Claire and I thought - ok this will be good and jumped in the water. We had no idea how AMAZING it truly is. It has to be one of the most amazing things I have seen in my entire life and runs rival to the Grand Canyon.
I got over my fear of open water and sharks and saw the most amazing Coral and fish that I have ever seen.
After about and hour we then headed back onto the catamaran and headed to a small island (the name eludes me) where we once again snorkelled our hearts out. ON the way we dined on a great lunch complete with prawns.
Now we had been wearing these ubo stylish stinger suits which basically accentuates every roll of lard around ones torso so Claire and I decided to brave being stinger meat in favour of acting like mermaids and snorkelling in our bikinis. THe snorkelling at this spot was just as great and we got so close to all the fish and saw the biggest clams in purple and pink. Cliare and I decided to sing to the stingrays to make them move - which of course worked as everyone knows of our great singing abilities.
Just as we were leaving it started to pour but me being a saffa was the last one to get on the boat as I wanted to get the full experience. Just as I was swimming back A turtle swam within an arms length of me which topped off my amazing day.
ON the way back the sun was stunning and we sailed back to Cairns lying on the nets of the catamaran - paradise? you guessed it.
So Not to make this too long - we completed our holiday with a minjin swing which basically hauled both of us up to the top of the trees then swung/ dropped us forward - that was the brave part of our holiday and pretty damn fun.
THe rest of the last day we spent basking in the sun by the lagoon and topped off our holdiay with once again another night out.
It is now monday and we are going out with Claires frients RAchel and ELise and Stu, Em, Jen and Dave from camp before I leave in the morning
ITs definitely been a super holiday and Im so grateful to all those that made the effort to catch up. It was amazing seeing you guys.
Australia is a stunner and a return will definitely be taking place.
Check out this page lata for a few pics when I get home and put them on
love to all
Saffa aka Kate

Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1017.4kb