Fishing in Cairns


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » open water
November 24th 2008
Published: November 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Darryl in actionDarryl in actionDarryl in action

Nice action pic.
Okay, so I’m a little behind on my blogging but I’m going to make up for it right now. I might not go into excruciating detail about everything we’ve done since my last post, but I’ll make sure to highlight the salient points.

Fishing in Cairns was a really interesting experience. We went river fishing with our, shall I say… rustic looking guide? His name was Darryl and he had more pornography on his mobile phone than any human being should ever have. He actually ran out of memory and was complaining about it on the boat. The name of the charter service was: Fish Tales and Nick and I certainly took a few home with us.

The day started out by making our trip into the muddy looking river to catch some bait. Darryl would look for little fish flippin’ on the surface of the water near the mangroves and then cast his plastic mesh net to try and catch as many as he could. Not the easiest task, but he did manage to catch a fair amount and we even caught a ray fish in the net. A bird started to come near the boat and Darryl informed us that the bird was his friend and often landed on the boat to receive a quick, free meal. This was really cool but the bird had lice so we didn’t get too close. It actually swallowed so many little fish that it jammed up its throat and had a huge bulge in it for a little while.

Throughout the day we flew on the water between the river and the Ocean and caught fish here and there. The best catch of the day went to Nick who landed a beautiful 80 centimetre Barramundi that jumped out of the water three times! We both got pictures with it and we were so happy to get to touch such a magnificent and strong specimen. I’ll leave it at that and let you take a look at the pictures.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Great PicGreat Pic
Great Pic

I was lucky enough to judge this photo just right and capture the hawk grabbing it's meal in dramatic fashion.
Good Bait CountryGood Bait Country
Good Bait Country

This was the type of location we looked for bait in.
DarrylDarryl
Darryl

Hauling in his net, there some little fish in it this time.
MangrovesMangroves
Mangroves

Look at that root structure, the bait fish love to hang out just off of that mess.
Bird FriendBird Friend
Bird Friend

This bird is spoiled. He said that it will fly from 10Km + to find his boat.
Ocean FishingOcean Fishing
Ocean Fishing

We tried a little Ocean fishing, the scenery was beautiful.
BarramundiBarramundi
Barramundi

Such a strong fighter
Flathead fishFlathead fish
Flathead fish

Darryl kept this one because he said that it has a very tasty flavour.
Let that one goLet that one go
Let that one go

One of the guests on the boat caught this eel. It was so ugly.
Over 8 feet longOver 8 feet long
Over 8 feet long

Okay, you take it off the hook.


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb