In the best place in the world...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » open water
May 10th 2008
Published: May 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Alright. Apologies first. No Pictures. Sorry, still my camera cord is at home. 😞
Also. Internet still v. expensive, so I will go through the last week and a half pretty quickly but yeah, ask me more when I get home, I'd love to tell you the stories.

First off we flew from Sydney to Uluru (AKA Ayers Rock) and met up with the TWO Australian MEN who were going to be our guides for a WEEK. Let's just say, hawt.

So the first day we went on a hike around the olgas which are nearby Uluru and are another rock formation. Then we headed to Uluru for the amazing sunset which we pretty much missed because it was overcast. Shucky darns. Luckily, these guys pulled out two things of wine, multiple bottles of champange, and made some sangria, as well as chips and dips, so the disapointment was soon forgotton.

The next day we hiked around Uluru- which i've made analagous to hiking around Devil's Tower (hopefully enough people understand that). Pretty boring, but obviously a big landmark. Then we headed to King's Canyon, where I rode a camel for the first time. Also pretty boring... *shrugs* oh well- when in Rome...

So then the next day we hiked the Kings Canyon, which was like climbing the height of Harney Peak in about 5 minutes- High and straight up. The walk after we got there was really cool- lots of cliffs and rock formations. Fossils of the ancient sea that was there- I have some great pictures for that too. (lots of geology guys! w00t!)

The next night we headed to Alice Springs for some dodgy accomodation in a dodgy town. This was the first place where I had a real experience with the native Aboriginals and started to understand the tensions- so it was a good stop.

The next couple of days were spent driving north up the outback. I suggest you look at a map to see how far we travelled, if not I'll show you when I'm home, but if you look at it- the distance- and then in that... vast NOTHINGNESS. It was pretty crazy. So then we spent the night at Tennant Creek for even Dodgy-er accomodations...

So another day of driving and then we spent the night in these Permanent Campsites, which are really nice cabin like tents with beds in them. They are very nice. Took a hike to look for Freshwater crocs, or Freshies. Along the way all the time there were lots of stops at various sites along the way- Again, I'll tell you more when I'm home...

So then we went to Katherine and saw the great Katherine gorge by taking a boat cruise. Then we headed into Kakadu National Park which I believe is the 18th largest park in the world. Our amazing guides took us on a secretive hiking location for a 360 view and a beautiful sunset. Not many people knew the trail, and it was great. On the way back down, we saw two of the very rare black footed wallabies. AMAZING.

The next day we had in Kakadu we checked out Aboriginal rock art paintings which were pretty amazing- and up to 20,000 years old... and still in very good condition. It was awesome.

Unfortunately this was our last day with Luke and Miguel (the guides). Lets just say that the trip was much greater than all the sites I just mentioned above. I've developed a little bit of a taste of beer after this week- and it was really awesome to be so 'tight' with REAL Australians. They were a lot of fun-and-crazy and it was really awesome to hang out with them all the time. Also SUPER knowledgeable- I swear you could point at anything and they'd know everything about it. Very nice people to have around...

Anyhow, they dropped us off in the town of Darwin. That night I was waiting for laundry (which actually got locked away from me...) and working hard on my journal for class when I was interrupted by a weird stranger (not an uncommon occurance with me unfortunately) Not only was he interupting me, he had like this weird... twitch (? at least I hope it was...) of kind of sticking his tounge out like a snake....
Creepy. But besides that, we had a good conversation.. but he did creep me out, so when he offered to buy me a beer, I quickly apologized and informed him I should be going to bed..... that's my funny story for ya'll.


So our free day in Darwin, I headed off to the Charles Darwin Uni with the Art Prof to check out their printmaking studio (what he does) and got a crash course in print making. After that we headed to the Darwin Museum and checked that out and then headed to the Mendil Beach where there was a market taking place- tons of vendors and such- and you guessed it- vendor food :D Two smoothies and two satays later- we did some shopping and then I saw the best sunset of my life. But after that- it was off to bed because we had a 7:15am flight to cairnes the next morning....

Cairnes. The Australian poster city for tropical gorgeousness. Although I'm not sure if there are any safe natural beaches (crocs) there are some nice man-made public pools. So after spending far too much on souviners, we grabbed our stuff and spent the arvo (afternoon) on the beach (me napping.)
Then we had a reef teach lecture to tell us about the types of fish and stuff we were going to see the next day. It was really informative so that was great....

So today. As many have probably already heard- was probably the best day of my life so far. Snorkeling over the reef was absolutely amazing... 'nuff said. What else could I say?

Besides a lot of coral and reefs I don't know- I saw a sea turtle, squid, clown fish (nemo) and so many other amazing things...

I sprung for an underwater camera, so hopefully some of those pictures will turn out and will look good. Cause it was great.

Anyhow, after this I'm heading to the casino.. (don't worry, I'll behave myself...) and then tomorrow we head to the Daintree Rainforest for two days. (so no internet again) Then after we get back we just have one more day together as a class, and then I head off to New Zealand.

so quick note- I'm working on postcards, but some might not get them til after you see me.
Please let me know if you want anything specific from Aus/NZ immediately...
Happy Mother's day to my Mom
Happy Graduation to Kara
and Happy Birthday to Samantha

I'm looking forward to being home to tell you all my stories... but I will be sad to leave!!!

Anyhow, with much love-
Cheers!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0771s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb