Kewarra Beach, Cairns


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
February 25th 2015
Published: February 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Arrived at the Kewarra Beach Resort at about 4.00 on Saturday arvo. Greeted by hundreds of fruit bats hanging and squawking in the trees! The noise was incredible and the sight quite amazing as they are very big and constantly flap their wings to keep cool. They look like upside down graduates! We were told they arrived about 6 months ago when their favourite trees were cut down in Cairns and this resort is the only other place to have the same trees. They are quiet at night (may leave to eat) and did drop no end of droppings but otherwise were not a problem - at least they don't come down to the ground and crawl up your legs!

The resort is about 12 miles north of Cairns so we decided to keep the car for the whole of our stay which meant we could visit places much more easily. However, it was hard to drag ourselves away from this wonderful place to do anything else. It's set in rain forest but on the beach. There were about 20 bungalows and a reception/restaurant area, two rock pools and a place for yoga by sunrise. All very natural, beautiful and simply done. (Paccuare Lodge and Zighy Bay came to mind if not to quite the same standards - for those of you who know what I mean!). The rock pools were so unique and lovely - the best pools I have ever been in I do believe. There were also several wallabies in the ground with their young and two curlews which are birds that are so camouflaged you can't see them until they decide to go for you - bit scary.

We did get out though. On Sunday evening we went into Cairns for a look round and a bite to eat - so glad we weren't staying there!! Then on Monday we went out on a reef trip - at last. The weather could not have been better, the sea was so calm and turquoise and very warm - and we did not have to wear stinger suits. It takes about an hour and a half to get to the reef and then we had loads of time to snorkel. They also had a glass bottom boat and gave us a good lunch, with more snorkelling in the afternoon before heading home. It was a fabulous day - the coral is stunning and we saw loads of fish. The next day, our final full day, we drove up to Kuranda, which is a little village up in the hills and did some shopping and Steve went bungy jumping too! He's been wanting to do this for years so finally got his chance, but no, I did not do it as well. The weather is about 34C in the day and 25C at night, and very humid - thank heavens for air conditioning!

So there we have it. We're now at Hong Kong. We'll be here for one day and then flying into Beijing and then back to London arriving at 3.30pm on Friday. This will be my last posting. We've had a truly wonderful time, everything worked out so well. Really looking forward to seeing you all again (and to watch some British TV again - Australian TV is rubbish!!! )

Love Anne xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Fruit BatFruit Bat
Fruit Bat

The bespectacled variety

Great Barrier ReefGreat Barrier Reef
Great Barrier Reef

Glass bottomed boat
VegemiteVegemite
Vegemite

Steve's new toast spread
CassowaryCassowary
Cassowary

Saw one of these in the Koala Sanctuary but not on the road. I think they put the signs up to tease!


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb