Beer and Ice cream


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
July 18th 2006
Published: July 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hey all!

Well, the search for a job is finally over. And I must say, Im absolutely thrilled with the results. It all started about a week ago. I brought my resume into a restaraunt and had a trial that night. I hated it. The plates were so big,heavy, and steaming hot and I was expected to carry three of them at a time. No thanks! So that job was out. The funny thing was, my friend, Jared, from the Whitsunday trip was working there that night, and I didnt even realise it till I got there, so we had fun catching up on things together.

On Wednesday, I had a trial at "The Pier", a really posh multi-million dollar establishment located right off the Esplanade by the Marina. I work as a bartender there and absolutely LOVE it! I didn't master pouring a beer the first day, but I was starting to get used to the basic mixtures like Bundy (Bundaberg Rum) and coke, fire engines, Jager bombs, and so on. The next shift I had was that Friday at 5 pm. Between 5 and 7 on Fridays and Sundays is Happy Hour, as well as the busiest days of the week, attracting as much as 450 people or more, so I was freaking out a little before then. That night was awesome! My friends, Matt, Danny and Paul came by and said hi early in the night, and said I looked a little nervous. But, I served so many people I had met in the hostel I was staying in, so it was alot of fun. There were these two Irish lads I knew from my hostel who came up to me and were like, "Hey Marie, thanks for all the free doubles, and the two $50 notes you gave us from the till." I was so embarrassed, and hoped my boss knew they were just bugging me because I was new. He just laughed and said, "You only gave them two fifties?". Whew, thank goodness! I worked that night till about 10:30 or so. Then I worked Saturday from 2 until midnight, and then Sunday from 12 noon till midnight! That was a crazy busy night. My first break was at 8 pm. I loved it though. I'm so good at pouring beers now, and making drinks. It took me a while to realise what goes in what, and what certain things like Shandies, Snake Bites, and Fire Engines were, but now I'm a natural.

I also was surprised to get a call back from Baskin Robbins. I went in for a trial yesterday, absolutely loved it, and so went in again today to work from 10 till 1. I was worried I wouldnt be able to keep both jobs, but my manager at Baskin Robbins said I could give her my schedule for The Pier, and she'll give me shifts so they don't conflict with those of my other job.

I walked into Baskin Robbins my first day absolutely relaxed and calm, which is not at all like me when it comes to job trials. I didn't really think I needed to take the job too seriously and stress over it too much, which I was absolutely right about. I now know how to make Fruit fusions, triple shakes, Blasts, thick shakes, banana splits, and ofcourse sundaes. It's all so much fun! It's nice too, just because after every shift I do, I get a free scoop of ice cream, which I take full advantage of. I even use it as payment to the guys to convince them to give me a massage or make me dinner. Its awesome!

The best thing about these two jobs is that it's much different from my two previous jobs in Edmonton, working at TD Bank, and Moxies, in that people are actually happy coming into buy ice cream, or buying a drink at the bar. People were never too happy finding out how much or rather how little they had in their bank accounts, or getting the bill at Moxies. That's why Im having so much fun with these two jobs.

My friend, Danny got a job at Boost Juice, which is pretty much the equivalent to Booster Juice, so we get deals on those, as well, Paul just got a job with an architecture company earning well over a grand a week, which he loves. Matt works for a recruitment agency, sometimes at the Casino or at different restaraunts. I really like it, because when I was shopping in The Pier Shopping Centre yesterday, I told them that I worked at the bar, and I got deals everywhere. I also get Gourmet Pizzas from The Pier and this other really nice restaraunt for only $7 (worth $16). It's just too perfect!

We're also all settled into our new home. Danny, Matt and I kind of all share this one big room that is divided by wardrobes to separate our space. There are also two Irish lads living there with us. We have a TV, kitchen, bathroom, shower, and washing machine. For some wierd reason, theres no dryer, so we have to either walk to find one, or hang our stuff on the lines (which sucks when its about to rain).

Other than that, everything else is going great! I've gotten used to my tongue ring by now, and Im headed to the piercing shop to get a shorter bar now that its been 10 days. Hope the weather is as good back at home as it is here! Lots of love and kisses 😉

Marie 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0767s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb