Cairns & Cape York


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
August 31st 2011
Published: August 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Lay Day StrollLay Day StrollLay Day Stroll

Ghosting Paul on our walk!!
Hello
It’s a while since making the last entry, due to a busy schedule in Cairns. Our friends Paul and Heather came up to stay with us for a week in Crystal Cascades Holiday Park. The time flew with just about every day earmarked with an outing. We visited Kuranda by travelling up on the Train and returning on the Skyrail chairlift. What great rides they were.

Another day was spent on a visit to Green Island, where we boarded a semi submersible boat to view the reef, just off the island. The fish life and corals were much better than anything we have seen before on previous reef visits.

We had a couple of nice walks on what was supposed to be a “Lay Day”. We ended up walking about 10km on a very warm day. Needless to say I was very popular with everyone for suggesting it!!

Our visitors last night was spent at a popular Cairns restaurant called Barnacle Bills. The meals were absolutely lovely, with very friendly service. It was sad to see Paul and Heather leave, after such a great week with them.

Anyway, a few days after they left, we went
Paul & HeatherPaul & HeatherPaul & Heather

Please don't go!
on our Cape York trip. We flew to Horn Island and caught a ferry across to Thursday Island (on Monday?) followed by another ferry ride to the mainland at the township of Seisia. This is the most northerly community on the mainland. We were entertained on our first night by a group of Torres Straight Islanders. They were very good considering it was only their second public performance.

The next day was spent visiting “The Tip” and a few other places of interest. As can be imagined, the area is very remote but full of stunning vegetation and birdlife. The drive south took us to Bramwell Cattle Station, the Bauxite mining town of Weipa, Musgrave Cattle Station and for the last night, Cooktown. We saw numerous wild crocodiles, wallabies and birdlife.

While crossing a place called Saltwater Creek, we noticed an injured Sea Eagle on the bank. Our guide managed to rescue it and we packed it neatly in a well ventilated esky for the journey back to Cairns. We learned yesterday (Monday 28th Aug) that the vet found that the bird had been shot under the wing, by some mongrel around the creek area. He managed to
The TipThe TipThe Tip

Yes, we made it to the top of Australia - yipee.
extract the pellet and said that the bird should make a full recovery. The guide realised afterwards that in saving the bird, he had put his own life at risk when wading in the croc infested water. Wouldn’t that have made good reading??

We are now enjoying our last day in steamy Cairns before starting our journey south to the Gold Coast. We are due back there on 22nd Sept. and will rest up at the nearby Miami Caravan Park for a month. Can’t wait to see Cass, Ellie and the girls as well as our other lovely friends.

Watch this space!!!

John & Rose



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Island DancersIsland Dancers
Island Dancers

Torres Straight Dancers in full regalia.
Termite MoundTermite Mound
Termite Mound

This would have looked even taller if I'd taken it with just Rose???
Kennedy CrocKennedy Croc
Kennedy Croc

Huge "snapping handbag" at Kennedy River
TurtleTurtle
Turtle

Cute little turtle in one of the many creeks we crossed in Cape York.
Injured Sea EagleInjured Sea Eagle
Injured Sea Eagle

Tour guide Steve rescuing "Spread" the sea eagle.
Isobella FallsIsobella Falls
Isobella Falls

Pretty falls near Cooktown


Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0173s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb