Arrived at Cairns today.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
August 20th 2010
Published: August 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


South Mission BeachSouth Mission BeachSouth Mission Beach

a real favourite place of ours.
Hi all
We arrived at Cairns today and settled into a full caravan park here. Our first stop was to Telstra to get our computer transponder fixed - we thought it might be a battery problem. But we ended up buying a new one, so , we're now back on line.
After Airlie Beach we explored Dingo and Hydeaway Beaches on our way to Bowen. We caught up again with our friends Mardi and Bap there, and spent two days. We loved swimming at Horseshoe Bay, and drove out towards Mt Dangar where Bap is helping build a kitset shed/house for his son on a big block of land. We also saw where Bowen was turned into Darwin for the film Australia, and walked through the pub used in the film.
From there we headed north to Townsville for a night. We explored the city, including up to Castle Hill Lookout, the Strand and wharf areas.
Next we drove to South Mission Beach, where we had 3 idealic days in a beautiful camping ground right on the beach. The sea temperature was 22 and we had lots of swims and lazed on the lovely beach. We didn't really want to move!
We headed further north to Kurrimine Beach for 2 nights. The sun dissapeared there, but at least it gave us a chance to catch up with some of the things we had to do. Unfortunately , no internet though!!!
From there we had a night at Innisfail, then today we called at Len's parents cane farm at Gordonvale on our way through to Cairns. We have the offer to leave our van there while we're in NZ, but haven't made a decision yet as we can leave the whole rig here at this caravan park cheaper than leaving the car at a storage yard near the airport.
We fly home on Wednesday to NZ. We have Harvey's 60th in Hamilton the first weekend and Cameron's 60th the last weekend, and we are today told our house needs a little maintainance for Chris to do.
We hope to catch up with as many relations and friends as we can in a short time, then it will be back to Cairns and travel back down to Brisbane with Linda and Denis. We look forward to showing them some of our favourite places.
Cheers
Lynne and Chris


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Cardwell BeachCardwell Beach
Cardwell Beach

looking to Hinchinbrook Island
Horseshoe Bay 2Horseshoe Bay 2
Horseshoe Bay 2

hope to book here on the way down, it was booked out this time.
Horseshoe Bay, BowenHorseshoe Bay, Bowen
Horseshoe Bay, Bowen

one of our favourite places, we stayed here on our way to Cape York
Mardi and Bap and SheldonMardi and Bap and Sheldon
Mardi and Bap and Sheldon

We visited them, camping out at their son's property.
Mt Dangar and river Mt Dangar and river
Mt Dangar and river

This river borders Bap and Mardi's son's place, and these are the views.
stinger net at Dingo Beachstinger net at Dingo Beach
stinger net at Dingo Beach

stinger season is Oct - May around here.


20th August 2010

keeping in touch
Howdy.......what great pics esp. that we are starring.......glad u got the nice pick of the Mt Dangar.......the grand daught is called Shelby....not to worry......glad u enjoyed mission beach and etc.......Enjoy N.Z and catching up with fam......was great to catch up.......x x Mardi
20th August 2010

Awesome!
Oh WOW! Can't wait! Better than working!
20th August 2010

Great to hear you are heading back to NZ for a visit. Unfortunately the time you are here, we will be in the States. We leave Sunday the 29th and get back the end of Sept. See you the next time you visit. Love, Susi
21st August 2010

Bring back memories?
Hi Lynne and Chris. Do you feel like starting off again for the Telegraph Track? I guess that re-visiting Cairns will bring back some memories of our great trip. Enjoy and trust that we can catch up with you during your time back here. Safe travelling. Graeme and Margaret.

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0741s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb