Back in Cairns .... hooray!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
August 17th 2010
Published: August 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We left Cooktown after our two nights there and drove the long rather boring road back over the mountains. Rather than turning to the coast, this time we went straight ahead as we were going to have a couple of nights in the Atherton Tablelands.

First stop was at Mareeba. Tea and coffee are grown in Far North Queensland, as well as sugar, dairy cattle and the other thing they have there is lots of water ... anyone for a cuppa? We went into Coffee Works at Mareeba where they sell the coffee grown locally. We didn't buy coffee but we did buy some chocolate, I think they also manufacture that up there, I don't know if they grow the cocoa. Atherton is just a few kilometres on from Mareeba.

After our first night at Atherton, we drove around the area. The countryside is very rich and green for growing - very similar to most of the areas all the way down the east coast of Australia when you first climb the Great Dividing Range from the ocean ... Bega, Jamberoo, Lismore, Maleny etc. The scenery was rather spectacular, for when we weren't driving beside beautiful green paddocks filled with contented cows, we were driving through rainforests. There are three well known waterfalls there, Millaa Millaa, Zillie and the Ellinjaa as well as Lake Eucham, the crater lake, and Lake Barrine, all reached by driving then walking through the rainforest.

Today we left Atherton, first going to the Court House to make an absentee vote for the coming elections. Love that big tablecloth of paper we have to fill in! We drove via Kuranda, the touristy little town where the little train that climbs up the steep hill from Cairns lets out its passengers, to shop for touristy things, or perhaps go through the wildlife or butterfly parks. The skyrail back down to the valley leaves from Kuranda too. We've done both a couple of times but I think this was the first time we've driven down the very steep hill. It was a lovely drive, more rainforest and wonderful views.

We drove to Yorkey's Knob which is a beachside suburb north of Cairns and had lunch overlooking the water, drove through Cairns, quite excited to be back. Now we're in the great caravan park here, washing's done and on the line, sunshine and a cool breeze to dry it and all's well with the world. Tomorrow will be haircuts and a bit of tidying up all around.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR THURSDAY, JASON - HAVE A GREAT DAY XX


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Statues at  MalandaStatues at  Malanda
Statues at Malanda

There are several of these depicting life on a dairy farm
Looking over Cairns from Kuranda HillLooking over Cairns from Kuranda Hill
Looking over Cairns from Kuranda Hill

the patchwork below is sugar cane
further view of Cairnsfurther view of Cairns
further view of Cairns

This joins the photo on the left, although the hill in the centre actually hides the city.
Strange hill out of CooktownStrange hill out of Cooktown
Strange hill out of Cooktown

made up of big black rocks


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0677s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb