The Old Man is Snoring


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
April 6th 2010
Published: April 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Oh my word, did it rain in the night! I was actually woken up by the noise! I lay back in my comfy bed and thought ‘thank goodness we’re not in the van!’ It was still raining when we got up, it was still raining when we drank our tea, still raining when Karen (the owner) rang to offer us a lift to the shops and it was still raining when we caught the taxi back.

In fact, it hasn’t stopped raining all day. And do you know what? It really hasn’t bothered us. We’ve had a great day! For the first time since we set off, we’ve really been able to empty our bags, unpack properly and just sort everything out. The washing machine has been going all day (as has the tumble), we’ve taken advantage of the oven by cooking a roast and even spoilt ourselves by sitting and watching the news on the TV. And we’ve sat and put our feet up and relaxed!!

Absolute bliss!

And as for Danielle’s comment about all the bird photos - worrying that her ‘olds’ are turning into twitchers ... well, maybe we are - it’s very peaceful sitting on the balcony watching the birds flitting around in the rain!!

-----

Valerie’s mentioned a few times how big Australia is so, now I’ve got a week’s rest from driving, I find myself reflecting on the impact this has on the country.

Firstly, I’m sure it’s why so many of the towns we’ve passed through are so pristine they could appear on the front cover of “The Watchtower!” It figures, if everywhere you want to get to is a long way away, many people simply don’t bother. Instead, they focus absolute attention on their own doorstop.

This local focus also explains their sporting prowess - all social life centres around local clubs. And when they’re not playing, I swear they’re tending to the pitches. You’re constantly seeing immaculate playing fields, manicured cricket grounds, and bowling greens that, quite honestly, must have gone for the full wax treatment! Dare I say the same observation could extend to their other hobbies such as quilting!

Finally, when Australians do decide to venture out (and travel further than the local beach) it seems to take over their whole life! Seeing Australia becomes a rite of passage; they just set off, and months, even year’s later, they’re still going! Now there’s nothing wrong in that, there are some great places to see and many brilliant people to talk to along the way.

Just one word of caution though; if an Australian ever tells you something’s “just up the road,” before you set off, find out if it’s an hour up the road or two days!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb