Dingos and Goon


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
February 11th 2006
Published: February 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello again people, hows things? thought i'd just give a little update on our adventures recently... we left brisbane after lapping up everything arnies relatives could throw at us i.e. free beer, food and a hot tub, and headed to rainbow beach for a couple of days. left there for fraser island which was quality. Just a big group of us hammering these 4x4's around all sand tracks hunting for lakes and just nailing them down the beach- great fun! A couple of the lakes were awesome as hopefully the pictures show- lake wabby was surrounded by a massive sand dune so you could just leg it down there and crash into the lake at the bottom! At night we just set up camp and drank litres of goon (for those who don't know the goon it is about 5 litres of wine for about 4 pounds), managed to pick up a $225 fine for leaving wine out for the dingoes as well. (Which isn't that bad when you consider that some other lads absolutely spooned one and got a $5000 fine!)

After recovering from that we went up to Airlie beach for a few days and went sailing around the Whitsunday Islands. So good just being on a boat out in the ocean- love it! Good laugh, started off the evening with drinking golf, which ended in a good few pints each being downed for various offences, and then the evening kind of went downhill from there... We started playing the game dropping golf balls in peoples drinks and they neck it just between a few of us, and it ended with about 10 golf balls, 40 or so people necking pretty much every drink you attempt to buy! And Armstrong paid for it in the morning! bed at 3 up at half 6 for a day on the boat, sure enough Arnie is throwing up on front of the boat (yep not the back so the spray didn't get everyone covered in his sick) and then didn't actually say a word all day just sat on the back of the boat hiding from the sun!

From Whitsundays headed to Mission beach which was pretty dull, (seriously so fed up of beaches now- especially when you can't even swim in them cos of bloody jellyfish!) and am now in Cairns. Headed to Cape Tribulation the other day which was very chilled, empty beaches and rainforest everywhere (spot of meditation there in the photo!) and then went diving with the boys and Michelle the other day. Joe somehow managed to get separated from us, was low on air so swam up to a random instructor with his group of students (thinking it was our guide) and asked to swap jackets with him and tried to latch on the group. Only realised it wasn't us when the instructor pretty much told him to "f@ck off and leave my student group alone", funny times. Diving itself was a let down though, the great barrier reef isn't really that great suprisingly! Both thailand and malaysia were much better dives, though i get the feeling i might have been spoiled on those earlier ones!

Not too much else to say really, sure we have done more than that but can't really remember much else, all the beaches and wine kind of merge into one after a while! Anyway, met some great people up the coast though and everyone ends up in the same places all the time so have had some quality times out! A few legends spring to mind- nic, dave, steph, claire, caroline, gem and the leeds birds! good laugh, but getting a bit bored of Aus now, doesn't compare to Thailand for me i'm afraid (and the bank balance doesn't appreciate going out pretty much every night in cairns!). Off to NZ on Friday so can swap from beaches everyday to some extreme sports and glaciers- bring it on!!Swills and the bean- not too long to go hey gringos! adios


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



6th April 2006

compo on the pull?
what the fuck!!! compton...with girls...?? how much did u lot have to pay those birds to pose with that wombat lookalike?

Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.2224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb