Hello from the Great Barrier Reef


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
July 23rd 2008
Published: July 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

In the subIn the subIn the sub

Watchin out for turtles!
Hello all,

A quick update following our descent from Port Douglas (lovely place) back to Cairns. We mostly did so to experience the Barrier Reef - and because we like the place.

So we booked the trip - via speed cruiser to the outer reef. Fantastic. The only thing was the weather was between 15-20 knots on the way out which resulted ni lots of sick passengers - including a little carter throwing up repeatedly. Not fantastic.
Never like to see them suffer do we? Anyway she was really brave. As for the parents, Shell & I just put on a brave face - even if they were a little pasty. A lot of deep breaths required.

So, with child number 1 (in order of arrival - not favourite) being ill - we said sod it and took the plunge and booked a return in the helicopter. Actually the fact that I’m writing this tells you we didn’t take any plunges - thank heavens.

It was amazing and the experience of a lifetime. The noise was incredible - got the adrenalin going, the view unbelievable, and the sight of Bella & Noah’s faces in the back was
In th kids poolIn th kids poolIn th kids pool

With little fishies swimming in and out!
priceless. Noah has been asking to go on one again every day since. I keep trying to explain we’d have to sell him to make it possible - so he wouldn’t get to go anyway.

The reef trip itself was also amazing with great facilities - including a bottomless boat, a sub and underwater viewing room. The kids pool was great as fish were swimming in and out - so once they were used to it you couldn’t get them out!

A really fabulous day.

Will update soon!

Love, Steve, Shelley & ickle carters.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

In the copterIn the copter
In the copter

Bella sang the little mermaid song all the way back...
View from up above...View from up above...
View from up above...

Some island...
Steve SnorkellingSteve Snorkelling
Steve Snorkelling

OK OK, so the life jacket makes me look like a large lemon. You were told to wear them though and they also protect you from the sun. Not so cool though.


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb