Heading North - Townsville to Cairns


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
December 4th 2007
Published: December 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Magnetic Island from Castle HillMagnetic Island from Castle HillMagnetic Island from Castle Hill

The weather seemed to mirror my mood!
Tues. 13th Nov:
On the road by 1000 and heading to Townsville, just a stop over en route to Cairns. Stopped at several hostels once there but both being rather snobbish and not liking the look of them. Finally decided on Reef Lodge, as recommended in our Lonely Planet.
Went for a wander around the town. It was all rather strange and deserted but it didn't stop Laz from shopping (nothing does these days!!) Quiet night was planned but was not to be. Unfortunately the beer garden of the pub backed onto the side of our hostel my quiet night didn't start until 3am!

Weds. 14th Nov:
We took a drive upto Hynes Lookout on Castle Hill before leaving Townsville. Castle Hill is a huge pink granite monolith standing in the heart of Townsville. It rises to a height of 286 metres above sea level and dominates the skyline of this relatively low level city. There are a number of vantage points from which to view the city below and also across Cleveland Bay to nearby Magnetic Island. Many people walk up Castle Hill for regular exercise. I had to laugh at 1 couple who had actually driven to the
Owwww!Owwww!Owwww!

Find something else to eat!
top, then taken a couple of mats out of the car and lay in the car park doing there work out...... no comment!
Arrived in Cairns and off to find another hostel. Checked into the Serpent and an 8 bed dorm but we were the only 2 in it so plenty of space.
Spent early evening downstairs in bar and tv area but both tired so crashed early.

Thurs 15th Nov:
Woke feeling like I'd been eaten alive in the night. Counted about 15 bites whilst still in bed but underestimated that slightly. Once I got up it turned out to be a ridiculously itchy 53! Took advantage of the hostels free breakfast then drove to the outskirts of the centre and walked in to look around the shops. You won't be surprised to hear Laz shopped so more although I was really glad of it. He finally bought some new thongs (flip flops, in case anyone has some rather disturbing images of anything else!) which meant he could dispose of his old ones which were like walking cheese... and I'm talking stilton not mild cheddar!
You certainly notice the difference in weather once you reach Cairns. The humidity is so much higher and they weren't lying about it being rainy season either!! Humidity and rain makes it such an enjoyable experience............
Anyway, we decided to head upto Capre Tribulation tomorrow with a couple of stops en route. I wanted to head back out to the reef for some more snorkelling and to take some photos and apparently Cape Trib is a good place to go from.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb