Cairns and onto Cape Tribulation


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
April 23rd 2007
Published: April 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Seemed to spend the whole day getting the Greyhound to Cairns from Airlie Beach as we had to wait about 3 hours for the bus to turn up. Anyway, despite the huge delay I think we got into Cairns just before midnight.

The next day was spent exploring Cairns before heading up to Cape Tribulation and the Great Barrier Reef. Not really that much to report from Cairns itself really. It's not a fantastic city after having been to the likes of Sydney and Melbourne. However, what I did notice was the huge increase in the number of Aboriginal people around. Before this point on the Australian leg of my travels I hadn't really seen many of them...

After spending a rather uneventful day in Cairns I was picked up the next day by the bus that would take me to Cape Tribulation. Stopped on the way at a couple of places and went on a boat looking for some crocodiles and also walked through a bit of the rainforest, sampling such delicacies as the green ant! If you lick its bottom it has a taste a bit like lemon/battery acid. A really odd sensation but something that
Cassowary SpeedhumpCassowary SpeedhumpCassowary Speedhump

Beware the Cassowary. They are huge birds and can apparently hurt you quite a bit if you get too near!
has to be tried if you get the opportunity! Arrived at the lovely Ferntree Lodge around lunchtime and walked round Cape Tribulation before relaxing on the beach for the afternoon. That evening I went out in the pitch black to go and find some dinner and discovered a rather vicious snake along the path. Boy, can they move quickly when they want to!

The next day I spent on another boat, the Rumrunner, where we sailed out to Mackay Reef. This area of the Great Barrier Reef is largely unspoilt and so is fantastic for snorkelling. Needless to say I saw loads of fish and coral down there. The colours were just amazing and the day just flew by.

On the third morning of my trip up to Cape Tribulation I did a little bit of jungle surfing - basically being suspended on a zip wire about 15 to 20 metres in the air. Was great fun! Then it was back to Cairns via Port Douglas and loads of great scenery.

Sadly enough that was my last full day in Australia. The next morning was spent posting stuff back home and going to the airport to begin the next part of my round the world adventure...


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Mackay ReefMackay Reef
Mackay Reef

It may not look like much but if you go under the water it's a whole different story...


3rd May 2007

Sounds like you are having a great time. Have fun.

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0866s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb