6 days out


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
October 27th 2012
Published: October 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

Embarkig on the Volendam in Sydney, Aus
6 days out and the best part of it all.....we do not have to stand night watches. That is big. Ok, there are no meals to prepare, no house keeping, no bilge pumps to take apart and lots of entertaining people and activities about. We are both enjoying this much more than we expected to. The Volendam is a lovely ship, very well appointed and staffed by the most gracious people. The meals are varied and delicious. There is Tai Chi on the pool deck every day. Plus morning stretch and an abs work out every day. There is a spa and even a fellow who works for Microsoft (and is contracted to this boat) who runs computer classes, including how to make movies. He is available several times a day to help one on one. There is a library, staffed be a librarian. we are getting interesting lectures and entertainment in the theater every evening. I know I sound like an advertisement but I am impressed.

We have stopped in Brisbane, a lovely city With a great Museum that we enjoyed so much 25 years ago. It is still great!! we had a stop for swimming and snorkeling at
DSCF1639DSCF1639DSCF1639

Fascinating beetle collection in the Brisbane Natural Museum.
Hamilton island, one of the Whitsunday Islands (Idyllic place in the Great Barrieer Reef). Today we are in Cairns for the second day. Yesterday we took the scenic train 22 miles into the monutains to Kuranda, an old gold rush town, now a very interesting tourist town. The local crafts people are very talented. We took a guided walk into the rain forest. The Aboriginal fellow who guided us was very informative and friendly. And we rode the Gondola over the thick rain forest back.

We do have our folding bikes (from Periclees) with us. They stow under the bed in our room. Today Angus unfolded his and has gone off to explore while I catch up on the internet. We will leave at 5:30 this evening.

We have met so many interesting people from Canada and America and Australia. Each evening we eat with different table mates and make plans for the next day.

Look far below for pictures.

Next stop....Darwin in 5days


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

DSCF1640DSCF1640
DSCF1640

Lady bugs!
DSCF1655DSCF1655
DSCF1655

Good place to view the local spiders....and try to avoid live ones!
DSCF1682DSCF1682
DSCF1682

FUN!!! I get to hold a Koala. He was a little bit smaller than Aurora....no problem. (And a lot quieter!)
DSCF1704DSCF1704
DSCF1704

Intersting local art work on a wall.
Photo 8Photo 8
Photo 8

Beautiful Whitsunday islands
Photo 9Photo 9
Photo 9

Gondola ride to Kuranda
Photo 10Photo 10
Photo 10

Examples of edible nuts in the forest
Photo 11Photo 11
Photo 11

Our guide explaining tradional sites.
Photo 13Photo 13
Photo 13

lots of tunnel and tressels on the 1 1/2 hour ride.


28th October 2012

cruiseing
Yes cruiseing is great no dishes or houswork or cooking thats why Lori likes it so much
28th October 2012

Wow...
So enjoyed reading your blog...what a wonderful adventure you are on...love the photos..not the spiders but fine with all the rest! Send more! Sharon and Hans

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb